$100K Wedding Cake For Salma Hayek???!!!

Decorating By ShopGrl1128 Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 12:57am by indydebi

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #31 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimpleBaker

They are free to spend thir money as they choose, but......

I would rather see maybe half the amount being spent and maybe the other half helping out some of the so many deserving causes in thier name, allowing a legacy to live on. (like say a 5,000 dollar dress for the little girl and the rest to a charity on her behalf. ) Although as a single parent struggling in this world, anything with two or more zeros next to it for a childs dress is a rediculous amount of money to spend. Especially on something that will knowingly only be worn once!

Now having said that, I would not turn down a cake order like that (except out of fear that I would not do the cost of the cake justice) icon_cool.gif . Perhaps they are doing something like I saw on one of those plaitnum wedding shows, where they spent 5000 on the wedding cake "Jewelery" alone (swarski crystals I think).

But the bottom line is that for many of us, that kind of spending is unthinkable, and so it seems wastfull. Perhaps if I led a life where I had great sums of money at my disposal, then the amounts being reported would not seem as significant.

MMM...C'mon winning lotto nuimbers...lol icon_evil.gificon_biggrin.gif

I'm with you. Do stars really need $20 million to perform in a movie? Why not take $10 million and the other $10mill go toward reducing movie ticket prices?

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #32 of 96

[/quote]

lol icon_lol.gif
So- 7 tiers, assuming square just because I'm looking for greatest amount of servings... is 560 servings (18" to 6") 100,000 divided by 560 is $178/slice...[/quote]

OMG. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #33 of 96

How do we not know they spent half of that amount - or more - on their charities or organizations of choice? It is an exuberant amount but it is their money.

I am also wondering that will drive the cake to that dollar amount besides a famous cake name. It iwll probably have crystals, diamonds, pearls or real gold on it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #34 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimpleBaker

They are free to spend thir money as they choose, but......

I would rather see maybe half the amount being spent and maybe the other half helping out some of the so many deserving causes in thier name, allowing a legacy to live on. (like say a 5,000 dollar dress for the little girl and the rest to a charity on her behalf. ) Although as a single parent struggling in this world, anything with two or more zeros next to it for a childs dress is a rediculous amount of money to spend. Especially on something that will knowingly only be worn once!

Now having said that, I would not turn down a cake order like that (except out of fear that I would not do the cost of the cake justice) icon_cool.gif . Perhaps they are doing something like I saw on one of those plaitnum wedding shows, where they spent 5000 on the wedding cake "Jewelery" alone (swarski crystals I think).

But the bottom line is that for many of us, that kind of spending is unthinkable, and so it seems wastfull. Perhaps if I led a life where I had great sums of money at my disposal, then the amounts being reported would not seem as significant.

MMM...C'mon winning lotto nuimbers...lol icon_evil.gificon_biggrin.gif

I feel sure they started at seven or eight million and whittled it down.
So rest easy on that score.

(((hug)))

mrswatkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswatkins Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #35 of 96

They got a call that it was a famous person and that bumped the price up waaaay beyond what it really should be.
People charge it only because famous people WILL pay it.
Oh what i could do with 100000.00

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:42pm
post #36 of 96

Well, if she is marrying the guy that owns LV, they just got 60 Million from ebay b/c ebay allowed fake purses and perfumes to be sold on their site. So, no $100,000 isn't a big number. And we can say all day long that we would give, give, give (and I'm a big giver), but we aren't there & don't know what we'd do. I'm sure they do give, give, give. And a lot of times designers will give dresses to celebs so their name is published. I remember an interview w/ Madonna some time after she had her daughter and said she didn't have to buy clothes for herself or her dd b/c designers sent her clothes everyday. So, we think they spend all this money (and they do) but they have a lot given too.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #37 of 96

I can't wait to see what that cake will look like!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #38 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I think the only stupid part is that I am not making that cake!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Wait, Edna, listen is that your phone ringing???

Ok, that was a prank call...not funny!..... icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:49pm
post #39 of 96
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif Too funny!! icon_lol.gif

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #40 of 96

Salma actually produces Ugly Betty. I also believe that she has a big charity thingy that she donates money to.

Like I said, her fiance is the president of a big luxury goods company, so this is a drop in the bucket.

While we cannot fathom a $100k cake, many people feel that a sheet cake from Wal Mart is just as good as the ones we here on cc make. Some people cannot fathom paying $3 or $4 a serving for a custom cake

It's all relative, you know!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #41 of 96

Selma Hayek is actually very involed in charity work.... she has her own foundation for women in abusive relationships. There's much more she is involved in (she has represented Avon and their Domestic Violence Campaign, etc.) and I'd say she is one of the more grounded celebs out there. Bottom line, it is their money and they can do with it what they choose. --Same as the common man (that's you and me, folks.)

More on Selma:
http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/116-salma-hayek

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm
post #42 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakebelle

I can't wait to see what that cake will look like!

Me too! icon_surprised.gif

confectioneista Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #43 of 96
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif Too funny!! icon_lol.gif

Don't let Edna lie to you...she's really doing the cake! She just doesn't want the rest of us to know about it! icon_lol.gif

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:15pm
post #44 of 96

For those wanting to know what a $100,000 cake looks like:
Check out:
www.sylviaweinstock. com

She's been in the business for over 30yrs. and her "average" cake sells for over $100,000.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:18pm
post #45 of 96

All I can say is that at least they are supporting the economy - the seamstress', the caterer, etc. icon_biggrin.gif

But, I can say that if I had gotten the call, I would have have to turn in down. Why?! icon_surprised.gif I'm afraid my doctor's bills would have been higher than $100 K due to the heart attack and stroke caused by making a cake that expensive. icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:18pm
post #46 of 96

When is the wedding?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:19pm
post #47 of 96

Okay, realizing I'm probably opening up a can of worms, but............

.........if you want to talk wasteful, what about all the sport figures who get payed millions of dollars (esp. baseball) for PLAYING a GAME? That's just one of those things that I can never wrap my brain around. I love to play games, why doesn't someone pay me $500 a week for bowling on my Wii? Huh? See, I'm not even being greedy and asking for $10,000 a week.

icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:30pm
post #48 of 96

My first thought when I started reading this was also the disgusting amounts of money they are paying people to play games. No way in this world any one person is worth millions of dollars a year to play football, baseball or any other game. One thing it does is make the tickets prices just go higher and higher and fewer people can go see a game in person.

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm
post #49 of 96

I think we are all under selling ourselves.
This is what the well known 'popular' people charge. We all just need that one big name/break, and then we could charge prices like these. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sylvia Weinstock at www. sylviaweinstock.com â 22.00 per slice
www. robynlovescake.com â 13.00 per slice
www.weddingcakesbykimpayne.com â 12.00 per slice
Elisa Strauss at www.confetticakes.com â 20.00 per slice
Marina Sousa at www.justcake.com â 18.00 per person
www.colettescakes.com â 15.00 per person
www.somethingsweetbymichelle.com â 30.00 per slice
www.anascustomcakes.com â 13.50 per slice
Ron Ben Israel at www.weddingcakes.com â 20.00 per slice

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #50 of 96

you know reading all of this...has anyone thought that perhaps the amount is to accomedate a "bridezilla"??? i like selma but she is a bit of a diva to work with...and can be very demanding and spoiled'ish....i have heard this from more than one person that has had to work with her!!!! they all can't be making up stories....but anyway, i like to think the decorator/baker is just compensating for their suffering of having found out she is difficult and demanding!!!! hahahahahahaha and if that is the case go for it!!!! on the other hand it does make me a little bit sad to see people spend that much money...when i am struggling to buy gas for goodness sake!!!!!! but it is their money, they made and by golly they will spend it!!!!!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #51 of 96

Yep, like the song says: That aint workin thats the way you do it
Money for nothin and your chicks for free.......

Hey, all we need to do is challenge eachother for CC monthy TD's and get it televised on Food Network and then write a cookbook and we'll be able to start selling our cakes for 20 bucks a slice, too! Easy! icon_lol.gif

Oh, and an avenging sock monkey cake never hurts either! icon_wink.gif

(C'mon, WE all know that baking/decorating is blood, sweets and tears (in our fondant). Now that's working!)

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #52 of 96

win -

I was going to say the exact same thing about Salma Hayek. She is VERY involved in a number of charities, paritcularly those w/women in abusive relationships. She is also one of the only celebrities to CONTINUOUSLY demand justice from the government in Juarez, Mexico where hundreds, if not thousands, of women have gone missing, raped and/or murdred. (It's a VERY sad situation.)

ANd you know, I'm not even going to lie - if I had that kind of money you know I would be looking for the best of the best - especially if it was something I was already used to.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #53 of 96

Putting my 2 cents in.

If any of of us would get a call from a celebrity to do the cake and they said their budget was $100 K. None of us..not one of us would turn that down. It is a lot of time involved to do something of celebrity status..it has to be picture perfect as well as the staff to pull something of that caliber off. The fresh flowers alone are worth thousands.

If I had millions upon millions of dollars, I would get a $100 K cake because why...I could.

Same thing goes for a house.car.cloths...you buy what you can afford.

We don't know what she does in her spare time..and who cares how she spends her money. We need to be more concerned how we spend our own money and how we can better our families and community.

I don't mean to ruffle feathers.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm
post #54 of 96

I wouldn't spend $100,000 on a cake, but I also wouldn't spend the thousands of dollars that a Louis Vuitton purse costs. However, just because I wouldn't doesn't mean I think they shouldn't. Now, if they start preaching to me about how I spend my money, then I'd change my tune. As it is, though, it's none of my business how much money they spend.

Really, if you were to break it down to a percentage of their yearly income, I bet their wedding cost them a much lower percentage than many average people's weddings do.

I have no idea how much money they bring in, but just for example, if they make a combined $35 million a year, then $3.5 million for their wedding would be just 10%. Compare that to an average working class income, and would you tell someone with a $50,000 yearly income that $5,000 was a ridiculous amount to spend on their wedding? Of course not. I know I'm just making up numbers here, but just trying to bring a little perspective.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:54pm
post #55 of 96

A 7 tier cake is huge. I immediately thought of Sylvia Weinstock too......if that puppy is covered in sugar flowers, you could be talking about thousands and thousands of hours of work on the flowers alone. I think the gumpaste flowers, super-detailed decorationans & handpainting are what would make a cake cost that much. And of course, if it is a top cake decorator.....or maybe she is having a special pastry chef flown in from over the pond, lol.

Or perhaps it's covered in 24 karat edible gold and accented with diamonds?? icon_smile.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:03pm
post #56 of 96

First of all she is a very famous actress..

Second, she is rich and marrying a rich guy. And it is her money so let her spend it the way she wants to, whether it make sense or not. If it was your money, then you spend it the way you want to. Rich people are REALLY allowed to spend their money you know w/out the guilt trip . I am not rich, but I also think that people who have a lot of (hard earned, not drug) money should have the freedom to spend it. icon_razz.gif

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #57 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

My first thought when I started reading this was also the disgusting amounts of money they are paying people to play games. No way in this world any one person is worth millions of dollars a year to play football, baseball or any other game. One thing it does is make the tickets prices just go higher and higher and fewer people can go see a game in person.

I totally agree! North Americans spend an outrageous amount of money on recreation. I think the average after your fixed expenses like mortgage etc is 50%! Yet we are the first to yelp when egg prices go up by double digit percentages.

Our society needs to get its priorites straight - I read a stat that said 50% of income by Britains goes to food costs - but then I also read that $19 BILLION of that ends up in landfills.

Off my tangent... movies are relatives 'cheap' entertainment (its $12.50/person here). So they sell a lot of tickets - make a lot of money can afford to pay actors a lot for their talent - just like we expect people to pay for ours.

I agree that 100,000 is a lot to pay for a cake. But think about it rationally - perhaps I should give 10% of my income to charity instead of spending it on things for me - great haircut, new clothes etc things I dont need but want. Why shouldn't they be allowed the same privilege? I'm sure she still donates more than that 10% of her income to charity - shes just spending on herself on a larger scale.

That 100,000 will have a huge trickle down effect on the economy - my biggest pet peeve is rich people who hoard their money - that is why we have an ever widening gap between the rich and the poor!

Let her spend some of her money - charity spending is not always the best for the economy!

It won't all go to waste probably - sure the flowers will die after using nutrient rich soil that could be growing food being sprayed with chemicals to keep them bug free, travelling half way around the world producing CO2 and burning jet fuel, sitting in a refridgerated cooler to keep them fresh and using a lot of electricity requiring say coal to produce or hydroelectricity which drowned out arable farmland, and a refridgerated truck to cart them around a big city in slow moving traffic causing more emissions - at least maybe her dress will go on display in some museum so that we may pay to go see it.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #58 of 96

and the point is ??? icon_razz.gif

confectioneista Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #59 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

The world will still come to an end so we should just all eat cake and be happy! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:08pm
post #60 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

Let's all go shopping!! icon_biggrin.gif

Hey, maybe Salma will pick up the tab! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

edited to fix a spelling error

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%