Up Tonight Working On 4Th Of July Stuff... Anyone Else?

Decorating By DoniB Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 11:09am by DoniB

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #1 of 60

What are folks working on? Anything? I'm doing cookies for the family's 4th celebration. We're to have a massive pool party at my aunt's house, so I'm doing two full batches of NFSC with Antonia's icing. Tomorrow will be cupcakes and possibly a cake. Not sure on the cake yet. icon_razz.gif

Anyone else working on stuff tonight? If so, holler out. I'll do what I usually do and check in every so often while I'm working. icon_razz.gif I'll probably be up till 2 or so, eastern time. icon_smile.gif

have fun!

DoniB

59 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:03am
post #2 of 60

Tomorrow and the 4th will be baking days for me... we're having a large family reunion on Saturday!!! I've a couple of cakes and a small batch up cupcakes to make and a few pies... yum!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:45am
post #3 of 60

I just took a batch of Raspberry Cupcakes out of the oven. Waiting to try for the first time!! Not sure what I want to put on the top thoough. It said they used mock whipped cream icing. Don't think I have anything for that on hand. Do you think buttercream would work??
Love Antonia's icing!! Haven't tried the cookies yet. I use one that works pretty well and haven't worked up to trying a new one yet.

Afarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afarren Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:54am
post #4 of 60

Cleaning and trying to decide what cake to make for our 4th party! I 'm thinking a square yellow cake covered with MMF...stars n stripes...kind of traditional.
I too will probably be up late, again!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:58am
post #5 of 60

Working on 6 dozen cookies, 2 birthday cakes with 1 smash cakes and a strawberry cake.

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:01am
post #6 of 60

I'll start early Thursday and then again early Saturday if not later Friday night. Cookout here on the 4th and family reunion on the 5th -yippee! I may use my Wilton's 3D car cruise cake pan again for the 5th, make a red/white/blue theme car for the kids. Will be trying WASC for the first time this weekend! Can't wait!

DoniB Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:06am
post #7 of 60

once you go NFSC, you'll never go back! LOL I thought I had a great butter cookie that everyone loved... until I found CC and NFSC. icon_razz.gif

As for the raspberry... try a lemon buttercream with it. Just a thought. I know that I used a lemon cake with raspberry buttercream, so I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way. icon_smile.gif

Have fun! Got the fourth batch of cookies in the oven. Woohoo! Only 8 more to go! icon_razz.gif

charlieinMO Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:11am
post #8 of 60

MMMMM Lemon sounds good!! May have to work on that tomorrow!!

LOL. Guess I better be giving those other cookies a try!! Seems like I read someone saying they break easy. Has that happened to you?? Man you ARE going to be up late!!

The car pan sounds like a cute idea!! I know the kids will love that! You will love the WASC!! It is very good! My husband even likes it and he isn't a huge cake person. (he loves pies!! says it figures I like pies and I marry someone that bakes cakes and cookies!!! LOL)

Mac and Afarren don't stay up too late now!!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:16am
post #9 of 60

I'm just looking for something yummy and fun for the 4th, haven't decided yet but I'll let you know. icon_wink.gif I was going to do nothing but rest but my DH's aunt is visiting from Tucson and it's her birthday so....change of plans for me! icon_rolleyes.gif I want something fun, festive and very 4th of July...... usaribbon.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:16am
post #10 of 60

I just finished a two tier wedding cake for tomorrow nights outside wedding. Going to be in the high 90's. The cake is a 10" round top and 14" square bottom. I have a question for anyone. I used a "bc" recipe that calls for ALL high ratio shortening. I really love the taste when I add cream boquet to it. But, I really can't stand knowing the "bc" is made out of all that. tapedshut.gif Anyway I thought it best since it's hot outside. Now, after all that explaination the question. Can I just leave those frosted cakes sitting on my counter in my cool basement (uncovered) until delivery tomorrow? icon_confused.gif The "bc" is all nicely crusted.

Thanks everyone! Happy decorating! I think I'm going to bed before 1:00 tonight. Yipee!

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:16am
post #11 of 60

I'm working on my second wedding cake ever for a wedding on the 4th. 4 tiers. I am trying to get them filled and stacked so they can "settle" overnight and I can crumb coat/frost tomorrow to give them enough time to chill overnight so I can cover them with fondant friday morning.... or late thursday night - we'll see how it goes!!!! At the same time I'm baking another batch tonight and tomorrow night for another cake due on Saturday. Not to mention...I'm about 8 months pregnant.. icon_smile.gif Ugg - I'm going to be tired tomorrow at work (I work full time icon_smile.gif..)

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:20am
post #12 of 60

I'm joining the late night club, asusual - I'm not sure I could really decorate anythkng much more midnight! Waiting for crumb coats to dry on a star and a 9x13 (both WASC-man, what a recipe!!!); got home from Kroger at 10:45 and discovered that someone - no doubt my clever old cat - had snagged one corner off the 9x13, so I'm trying to creatively make it look OK. At least it's just for our DD's office, and they'll go for the flavor rather than the appearance.

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:20am
post #13 of 60

I'm about to turn in for the night, but I've been working on 5 dozen NFSC for 3 different parties, plus a birthday cake for Saturday. Cake just came out of the oven, and I'm about half way done with the cookies. I've got to have my sleep....I get really cranky if I don't....and you know the saying..."if Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Night, All!!

doc_farms Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:21am
post #14 of 60

cocobean - Congrats on finishing...I would think leaving them on the counter would be fine.

charlieinMO Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #15 of 60

Oh my gosh!!! You all are making me feel LAZY!!! I just have a couple of small cakes to make and these cupcakes that I did!! Guess you won't be hearing any complaining from me!!

I haven't used the hi ratio yet BUT I did watch a Sugarshack video today and she does! AND she said she leaves her cakes out so I think you will be fine!

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:37am
post #16 of 60

Help...I'm still new to this and trying to figure out all of the abreviations. What is NFSC and Antonia's icing? Where do I find these recipes? Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:37am
post #17 of 60

It's almost 12a.m. I just finished 54 cupcakes and still have more to go. I have to get up at 6a.m. for work. My DH says he would like one holiday where we didn't have a bunch of orders. I think I am starting to agree.

Goodnight everyone!!!!

Lu

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:40am
post #18 of 60

I am up making gumpaste roses for a 4th of July themed cake for July 5th. I am REALLY slow at this and I still have 30 roses to make. I am going to finish the white roses and leave the 2 dozen red roses for tomorrow night. I suspect that it will be a LONG night tomorrow!!

Doni, do you notice that you and I seem to do this a lot? icon_lol.gif

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:41am
post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieinMO

I just took a batch of Raspberry Cupcakes out of the oven. Waiting to try for the first time!! Not sure what I want to put on the top thoough. It said they used mock whipped cream icing. Don't think I have anything for that on hand. Do you think buttercream would work??
Love Antonia's icing!! Haven't tried the cookies yet. I use one that works pretty well and haven't worked up to trying a new one yet.

I think I would slap some cream cheese buttercream on those puppies!!!!!!
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM sounds sooooooo good!!!!!

Where in MO. are you?

Lu

DoniB Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:02am
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

I am up making gumpaste roses for a 4th of July themed cake for July 5th. I am REALLY slow at this and I still have 30 roses to make. I am going to finish the white roses and leave the 2 dozen red roses for tomorrow night. I suspect that it will be a LONG night tomorrow!!

Doni, do you notice that you and I seem to do this a lot? icon_lol.gif

LOL Yup! I'd noticed! So we'll meet back here tomorrow night, as well? teehee... I'll just restart this thread, if you don't get to it first. icon_smile.gif

I"m thinking I might just take myself to bed in a bit, though, and leave the rest of the cookies for tomorrow... downgrade from cake and cupcakes to just cupcakes, and leave it at that. It's just for family, so they'd be thrilled just with the cookies. Heck, since it's family, they'd give my guilt, but just showing up is all right. icon_razz.gif The only pressure here is what I want to do, not what anyone else is expecting. icon_razz.gif

Bettycrockermommy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:12am
post #21 of 60

Sounds like a plan Doni. btw what time is it there in NC? It's 10:12 here. I am gonna quit in about 20 minutes

doc_farms Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:16am
post #22 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue123

Help...I'm still new to this and trying to figure out all of the abreviations. What is NFSC and Antonia's icing? Where do I find these recipes? Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

NFSC - No Fail Sugar Cookies. Antonia's icing is a popular cookie icing here at CC. You can find both recipes in the recipe section of CC.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2055-No-Fail-Sugar-Cookies.html is the link for NFSC

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html is the link for Antonia's icing

Welcome! icon_smile.gif

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:31am
post #23 of 60

It's 1:25 a.m. and I just finished frosting the top tier of a wedding cake for tomorrow. I scrapped the first tier since it was falling apart (strawberry cake--too many strawberries in it and it was just tooooo moist). I baked another and now I'm waiting until it crusts and I can smooth it with a paper towel. Maybe I'll get to bed by 2:00.....yawn.

jamalyn1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamalyn1 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:33am
post #24 of 60

Well I'm definitely not as busy as the rest of you, but just finished my first 4th themed cake...don't have any plans with it, I just wanted the practice lol. My sister in law is marrying an army man and they will do a patriotic wedding whenever they get to it so I thought it would be fun to practice. Just got the final pic posted icon_biggrin.gif YAY!

DoniB Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:37am
post #25 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

Sounds like a plan Doni. btw what time is it there in NC? It's 10:12 here. I am gonna quit in about 20 minutes

It's now 1:37am, and I'm almost done, too. I'm thinking that bedtime will be 2, no matter what I've got left. icon_razz.gif I'll finish up the batch that's in the oven right now, and if I make more, it will be tomorrow, in the cool of the morning.

But I got most of the cookies done... probably more than enough. We should have about 25-40 people, depending on whether one branch of the family is coming or not. And that's just my dad's family, not counting his cousins or anything. icon_razz.gif He's one of five, and each of his sisters had at least 2. I'm one of 4. icon_razz.gif And then there are all the husbands/wives that have since joined my generation, and the kids from all of those... and one set of great-great grandkids! eeep! It'll be a full house, but man, we have fun. "We put the FUN in disFUNctional!" icon_smile.gif One of these days, I'm gonna have t-shirts printed up for my family with that on it... LOLOL

Okay... the gas fumes must be getting to me... better finish these things and hit the sack! LOL See ya tomorrow, BCM?? icon_smile.gif (I bet you thought I'd forgotten!)

DoniB Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:41am
post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalyn1

Well I'm definitely not as busy as the rest of you, but just finished my first 4th themed cake...don't have any plans with it, I just wanted the practice lol. My sister in law is marrying an army man and they will do a patriotic wedding whenever they get to it so I thought it would be fun to practice. Just got the final pic posted icon_biggrin.gif YAY!

I like it! it's really pretty... simple but elegant, the colors are just right, and your roses are great. icon_smile.gif

Bettycrockermommy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:42am
post #27 of 60

BCM! I didn't forget!! Go to bed!! I am going to bed too. I have to work in the morning!! OH the fun!!

See ya tomorrow night!!

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:43am
post #28 of 60

Hey there. I just finished making cookies for tomorrow. Tomorrow I gotta make a big 4th of July cake for the family gathering Friday. Then Friday I have more cookies to do. Well I have class in the morning so I am turning in for the night. Goodnight ladies icon_smile.gif

DoniB Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:47am
post #29 of 60

I'm heading for bed too, as soon as this last pan of cookies comes out. Night, all!

And BCM... LOVELOVELOVELOVE the icon! Is there anything yummier than Kenny Chesney half-naked in a hot tub??? I think I'd trade NFSC for that! LOL Hmmm... Kenny, me, and a batch of buttercream... i think I'm gonna have some really SWEET dreams tonight. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jamalyn1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamalyn1 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:06am
post #30 of 60

Thanks Doni... I'm just practicing, practicing so that someday I wil do the magnificent wedding cakes I dream of doing....Have sweet dreams...of Kenny of course lol...I may just have to dream about that too lol icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%