Teaching A Cookie Decorating Class

Baking By GeminiRJ Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 5:06pm by GeminiRJ

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to decide if I want to teach a class on how to do my 3D cookies, probably at a local Michaels or the community college. What I'm wondering is how many sessions do you think would be required? Just one, where I show them the cookies decorated at various stages in the process and then have them start decorating cookies I bring? Or maybe two classes, so that the cookies they decorate can be assembled once the icing has set? I don't have a clue what to charge for the class(es) yet, or if I'll seriously check into doing this. But it sounds kinda fun. Any thoughts?

5 replies
toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:27am
post #2 of 6

GeminiRJ
Is this something you could do right out of your house? I was going to teach tolepainting at michaels but there was just so much redtape that I never bothered.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:01am
post #3 of 6

Well, I think you should start with the making of the cookie itself. And maybe share some of your recipes etc. and go over that part first. Then at the end of the class give them a heads up on the decorating icings. Some may want to use fondant, RBC, or RI. The next class have them bring in what cookies they baked at home and brought in to decorate, along with the icing they made. Or you could supply it. Then have a ball decorating. Show them how to apply it, outline it...then dig in and eat them.LOL.
The sky is the limit as to how you want to go about it. But write down your lesson plan so you don't leave out what all you want to tell them. Also, have a time where they can ask you questions.
Good luck! This sounds like it would be a fun class to take.

GeminiRJ Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:48am
post #4 of 6

I'm leaning toward the community college, as they are very easy to work with (I have a friend that teaches cake decorating, and I can pick her brain!). I figured that there would have to be two sessions because of the points cakegal brought up. The only cookie decorating class I signed up for was cancelled due to lack of interest (was I ever bummed) so I don't have anything to compare to for a class schedule.

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 6

This past year I taught cookie decorating classes at my local cake supply store. I ran the class exactly as cakegal described. It was a two part class on consecutive Tuesdays. Each class was approximately 2 hours. The first night I showed the students how to make and roll out the dough. We even baked a batch, and I also showed them how to insert the sticks for making a cookie bouquet, if that's what they wanted to do. I went over royal icing, and how to make and color it. They went home with a recipe for NFSC and royal icing, and were told to bring back their baked cookies and royal icing (already colored) for the next class. The second night I went over outlining,
flooding, and other decorating ideas. They decorated their cookies, and made cookie bouquets. All in all, the classes went smoothly, and the students did a great job! I had all levels of experience in the classes...some knew more than I did! lololol There was one gal who had gone to culinary school! I was thinking SHE should be teaching the class! icon_lol.gif Best of luck, students would be lucky to have you teaching them! Your cookies are wonderful!

GeminiRJ Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much, Joanne! I'll be saving this post for a reference, definitely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%