Smbc Questions. Please Help.

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #31 of 72

Dailey, Thanks so much for sharing. Can't wait to try this myself & see how it works out.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:13pm
post #32 of 72

I had a nightmare disaster happen with chocolate SMBC.. although it was delicious.. it was given for free.... cold house...but my big reverse shells fell off one by one icon_sad.gif ... it was delicious though icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm
post #33 of 72

dailey. Are just the flowers on that cake( you posted here ) the SMBC? or did you ice with it to ? Also is your Yellow & Lavender "Cupcake Cafe" Inspired. cake in your photos SMBC or reg buttercream ?

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:20pm
post #34 of 72

wgoat5.. Im sooo sorry ! I bet it was beautiful before that hapened !

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:30pm
post #35 of 72

I was sooo proud LOL... the reverse shell looked sooo yummy.. each shell had a blueberry in the center....and strawberries on the top... icon_cry.gif then it happened... hadn't even been out of the fridge very long... plop plop plop LOL.. oh well.. what can ya do? I had no more SMBC icon_sad.gif .. so they got a shelless cake LOL icon_rolleyes.gif dh and I had a blast eating the shells that I scraped off the board though icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #36 of 72

Christi I just looked you dont have a before the plop plop plop Picture ?? Im glad you got to enjoy some of it !

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:20pm
post #37 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

dailey. Are just the flowers on that cake( you posted here ) the SMBC? or did you ice with it to ? Also is your Yellow & Lavender "Cupcake Cafe" Inspired. cake in your photos SMBC or reg buttercream ?

yes, the yellow and lavender cake in my "photos" is made entirely from smbc...i rarely used american buttercream unless a customer specifically requests it. the cake i posted here has smbc roses and the sides are a chocolate wrap.

the direction for making the smbc is simple, just add the egg whites and sugar into your KA bowl and place that over boiling water, whip these 2 together with your whisk until it reaches 140 ( i always wait till it reaches 160). then simply add the butter/shortening with your paddle (i always used the whisk attachment because it seems to eliminate the air bubbles better), then add flavoring...that's it!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #38 of 72

fiddlesticks, is the very very vanilla smbc the one you tried?

dailey thanks for sharing your recipe. i would love to try it. have you tried smbc under fondant?

dailey Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

fiddlesticks, is the very very vanilla smbc the one you tried?

dailey thanks for sharing your recipe. i would love to try it. have you tried smbc under fondant?

yes, all of my fondant cakes have smbc underneath...and i put on a nice coat so if the customer chooses to not eat it then they can still have plenty of buttercream : )

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm
post #40 of 72

cupcakeshoppe yes the very vanilla SMBC from here on CC..I posted a link 1 page back ! Have you used it ?

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:05pm
post #41 of 72

dailey.. Thanks for all in the information ! That recipe sure works for you .Nice of you to share !

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:39am
post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

cupcakeshoppe yes the very vanilla SMBC from here on CC..I posted a link 1 page back ! Have you used it ?

i saved it in my recipe box. i don't know if i'm gonna try it or dailey's recipe. icon_sad.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #43 of 72

cupcakeshoppe. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it ! Im sure I will end up trying 3-4 to get the right one for me ! Let us know what you try and how you like it !

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:12am
post #44 of 72

oh i sure will. icon_smile.gif

do you guys use SMBC after making it?

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:34am
post #45 of 72

i have two questions:

1) dailey, are you able to pipe roses with SMBC because you added the Smart Balance into the recipe? or with just plain butter alone, you would still be able to create roses?

2) can anyone help to let me know, will the SMBC come out right if I were to use only the whip instead of the whip first (with the eggs & sugar) and later switch to the paddle (after taking the bowl off from the bain marie and when adding butter)?
my hand mixer doesn't come with a paddle.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:47am
post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

i have two questions:

1) dailey, are you able to pipe roses with SMBC because you added the Smart Balance into the recipe? or with just plain butter alone, you would still be able to create roses?

2) can anyone help to let me know, will the SMBC come out right if I were to use only the whip instead of the whip first (with the eggs & sugar) and later switch to the paddle (after taking the bowl off from the bain marie and when adding butter)?

1.) wondering the same thing but about piping in general.

2) wondering the same thing. but i saw pictures where all she used was the whip attachment and it turned out fine.

ANOTHER question (sorry) if i keep beating the BC will it become stiffer? what if want it to be stiffer, what do i do?

TIA. sorry for the questions, as i mentioned in another thread, butter is VERY expensive and i don't wanna mess it up and waste money icon_sad.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm
post #47 of 72

Thats my whole problem with the SMBC! I want to be able to make flowers with it and I couldnt do that with the recipe I tried. It did swirl fine I have some 4th of July cupcakes in my photos I made with the SMBC. I love the shinny silky look of it and the way it takes color nice and bright. but I want to pipe flowers ! dailey.. does with the recipe she posted

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:56pm
post #48 of 72

I tried making Dailey's recipe last night and I'm just not sure it's right. It seemed really 'runny' to me. I did stick it in the fridge and it did harden up but it just seems too runny for icing a cake and definitely not for making roses. I had to have done something wrong!!! I used my whisk attachment for the whole process as Dailey suggested and there weren't any air bubbles, it just didn't seem thick enough to icing a cake. what could I have done wrong?????

I did like the "lightness" of the icing but I'm still not sure of the tast, maybe it's my bland pallette icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I was sooo proud LOL... the reverse shell looked sooo yummy.. each shell had a blueberry in the center....and strawberries on the top... icon_cry.gif then it happened... hadn't even been out of the fridge very long... plop plop plop LOL.. oh well.. what can ya do? I had no more SMBC icon_sad.gif .. so they got a shelless cake LOL icon_rolleyes.gif dh and I had a blast eating the shells that I scraped off the board though icon_smile.gif

jkalman just mentioned that she usually only uses chocolate SMBC for a filling because it's too soft. When I made chocolate SMBC and iced it, it was a nightmare! I thought it was me but apparently the chocolate softens it. She suggested using ganache instead.

dailey Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #50 of 72
Quote:

i have two questions:

the main reason i used smart balance is to give my smbc a more neutral taste...my customers always refer to it as "whipped cream". it *does* taste like a richer version of it. but if you want to used straight butter, which i used to do, that would be fine too, you could still pipe roses, no problem.

as far as using only the whip, thats what i do. i used to used the paddle but i found i had less air bubbles when i stuck with the whip...so you'll be just fine : )

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:47pm
post #51 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

Quote:

i have two questions:

the main reason i used smart balance is to give my smbc a more neutral taste...my customers always refer to it as "whipped cream". it *does* taste like a richer version of it. but if you want to used straight butter, which i used to do, that would be fine too, you could still pipe roses, no problem.

as far as using only the whip, thats what i do. i used to used the paddle but i found i had less air bubbles when i stuck with the whip...so you'll be just fine : )

Thanks a lot dailey! Can't wait to try again, hope this time it won't fail.... icon_biggrin.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:05am
post #52 of 72

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made SMBC!!!!!!!!! I'm so so so happy! I will post pictures once I transfer them from the phone into the PC.

I used this recipe

1 cup sugar
4 large egg whites
26 tablespoons butter, softened (3 sticks plus 2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

but I used 2 sticks of unsalted butter and half a cup of crisco as per dailey's recipe. we don't have smart balance here. and i used brown sugar instead of refined sugar.

OMG!

It's amazing!!!! It tastes so good and so silky and so pretty. I'm inlove with it right now, i'm in love with myself too. LOL

My heart just leapt when itstarted coming together. I must've beaten it for so long because my mixer is not a heavy duty one. I also used the beaters, i don't have a paddle attachment.

OMG. it's so lovely. i'm in love.

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:44am
post #53 of 72

"but I used 2 sticks of unsalted butter and half a cup of crisco as per dailey's recipe. we don't have smart balance here. and i used brown sugar instead of refined sugar."

What does it taste like with the brown sugar and do you use light brown sugar or dark?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:19am
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mija10417

"but I used 2 sticks of unsalted butter and half a cup of crisco as per dailey's recipe. we don't have smart balance here. and i used brown sugar instead of refined sugar."

What does it taste like with the brown sugar and do you use light brown sugar or dark?

i used whatever we had. actually we get the same packed brown sugar and sometimes it's lighter, sometimes it's darker. LOL

it tasted really of mild caramel. i added a LOT of vanilla and it made it taste really good too. maybe if i wanted a strong caramel taste i'd just add caramel syrup, next time icon_wink.gif

i just got back from the office party where i served the cupcakes and people are raving over the frosting, i don't think any of them has seen or tasted SMBC ever. it tasted like caramel icecream. it was so yummy. icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:09am
post #55 of 72

Im glad it worked for you ! Did you try and pipe with it ? And I also saw that if you use brown sugar its a light brown color to ?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:38am
post #56 of 72

The brown sugar version is definitely my favorite! Now just throw some pb in and yum! I also think more caramel sauce needs to be added. It was just not caramel-y enough for me but it got rave reviews!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:43am
post #57 of 72

fiddlesticks i was able to pipe swirls. they held up pretty well given we have 90+ degree weathers here. they stayed put, kept their shape until people devoured them icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:32pm
post #58 of 72

cupcakeshoppe Thanks.. Yes I got the swirl with my try to ! I want to pipe flowers !! GRRR!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #59 of 72

well the consistency i got was quite stiff. if i could i probably would have been able to pipe flowers. i just don't know how LOL.

ETA

here are my pics! I sprinkled some toasted coconut on top.

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #60 of 72

cupcakeshoppe... They look wonderful !! So what recipe did you end up using ? The one you posted above ! And is it with the white or brown sugar ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%