Cake Extenders?

Baking By Dana8 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 9:28pm by Jayde

Dana8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana8 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 11

I am hearing so much about cake extenders, what are they and can I get the recipe.There was also something else to add to cake mixes , could i get that recipe as well. Thanks Dana

10 replies
RaYiTo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaYiTo Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 11

i got this one from cc and love it.
Cake Mix extender

Serves/Yields: 3 x 9" cakes
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Cake Mix Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

I've used this for any cake flavour. The result is a terrific , moist and dense cake that is easy to frost and decorate. Tastes like scratch cakes. I get rave reviews everytime I make a cake. I've used it for other 18" or slab cake pans. All I do is make 2 mixes instead of the one. I make each mix individually and then stir them together in a large bowl prior to pouring in the pan.

Prepare cake mix as per package directions. In addition to this add,

1 egg
1 cup flour
250 ml (or 8 oz.) sour cream or yogurt (I prefer to use low fat yogurt)
1 cup white sugar
1/3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla or other suited flavouring

Bake as per pkg. directions
Nutrition Information
Fat content will vary depending on whether or not you use full fat sour cream or yogurt. I've used them all including low fat sour cream, yogurt etc.... and the results are great each and every time.
Source:
Contributed by: lilscakes on Friday, April 29. 2005 at 18:55:28

More Recipes of lilscakes

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 11

I use the same recipe icon_smile.gif . I love it! It extends the cake a little more, giving you more batter, makes it a little denser (cause of the sour cream), and more moist. I also sift my cake mix and flour, which also makes your cake a little more dense, because it gets rid of all the big lumps that can cause big air bubbles. People mistake it for scratch cakes ALL the time!

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 11

I use the same extended almost always. It's a great way to make the cake your own & taste like stratch. I have also used this one:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1/2 package any instant pudding

I add a pinch of salt & 4oz of sour cream or 4oz of yogurt to this one.
The other thing I love about extenders is I can get enough height for my 2 8x2 inch pans to torte them in the pan. Then they are perfectly level.

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 11

Can you add the extender recipe to a scratch cake?

CocoaBlondie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:40am
post #6 of 11

You know I've never tried it before, but I wouldn't see why not.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #7 of 11

Nope, ya can't....I tried it....didnt work. (extender in scratch)

Seems to only work for boxed cakes.
As far as the baking time, mine take longer to bake....usually about 15 to 20 minutes longer than the box says and at 325 and not 350.
Trial and erroricon_wink.gif

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:51am
post #8 of 11

CocoaBlondie, would that extender recipe still work if i didn't use yogurt or sour cream?

CocoaBlondie Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:54am
post #9 of 11

The original recipe does call not to use sc or yogurt. I just think it's a little dry w/o it in my own personal preference. I like a moister cake.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 11

I know its been a while since this was posted, but is this recipe good for carving? I have to make a 3d football cake and Im going to use the wilton pan but i want to use a dense cake that wont crumble or get weighed down by the fondant.
Thank You,
Vanna

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 11

Sift your dry stuff and make sure you refridgerate or freeze for at least 24 hours, properly wrapped, and then let come up to room temperature. It should be just fine to carve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%