First Choc Wasc Sunk - Help

Decorating By penney00 Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 8:01am by thecakebox

penney00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penney00 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 9

I'm new to this site. I found the wasc recipe and decided to make a choc one. I made a half batch and used my 8" x 3" Wilton pan. I baked at 325 and around 50 min the cake sank. The only change I made to the recipe was use 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup cocoa. Maybe I should just do all four? Do I need to use a rose nail? If so, how do I do that? I've only heard of it, but never done it before. I have had a couple cakes sink in this pan before and I am about ready to pitch it. Last time I thought it was from opening the door too early so this time I did NOT open the oven door at all. I'm going to try again tonight so any help I can get would be great!

8 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:36am
post #2 of 9

It has been stated in other posts that when a person started with a "pudding in the mix" they have had some problems with the WASC recipe. I cannot offer too much advice I guess. I don't use a nail unless the size is over 10" and I rarely use one even then...but all you have to do is grease your nail along with your pan and place it upside down in the middle of the pan. Bake, cool and take the nail out.

I hope you have better luck next time-maybe halving the recipe doesn't work as well?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #3 of 9

When doing the WASC chocolate version I always use the DH dark choc. mix..... sub coffee for the water ... etc.

Never have had a problem but once... when I used a pudding in the mix boxed cake mix icon_sad.gif

Try it again it is delicious!!! icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #4 of 9

Did you over fill your pan?

penney00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penney00 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:57am
post #5 of 9

Well I just baked another and I happened to use the DH Dark Chocolate. I decided to put the nail in it this time. It would have been perfect I think except I was nursing my son and I asked my husband to check it for me. He said it was done and took it out. Of course it wasn't. grrr. I put it back in and it doesn't look too bad. Do you think it will taste ok?

I might have overfilled the first one too. I'm having such a hard time with this pan and I don't know why. So many people have raved to me about it. I love the shape I get from it, but I may have to just get two 2" deep pans rather than using the 1 3" pan.

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #6 of 9

When l started using the 3" pans l had so many sunken cakes. l soon learned to fill it as if it were a 2" pan instead, that way it cooks perfectly. l wish l had bought the 2" first. Oh well, live and learn.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #7 of 9

I have a 3 in deep square pan (8 in)and I always use the nail. I baked a cake last week, seem like it took forever to finish. I like the size of pan, but the edges seem to get so done quicker than the middle. I really need to use my strips also I think.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:32am
post #8 of 9

Hi and Welcome to CC, penney00. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Cake troubleshooting chart:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

I use DH cake mixes and haven't had any problems in 2" pans, but (IMHO) the 3" pans need flower nails and bake-even strips (since they cook soooo long).

HTH

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:01am
post #9 of 9

hi! is it possible your oven is not at the correct temp? Just curious as it can totally throw off your baking especially when using the 3 inch pans since they take so much longer to cook. I only use 3 inch pans (never use a nail for the 8 or bake even strips) and I never have had the wasc chocolate sink, oh and I always use pudding in the mix cakes. That being said, there is another version (the original one i guess) that starts with one cake mix and it has less liquid in it, I always use this recipe and mine always turns out great. I would post it but I can't remember who's it was so if you want it, PM me and I will send it on icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%