Noob Question About Styrofoam For Competition

Decorating By drwendy Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm by 2508s42

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 9

I'm planning to enter my local county fair this year for the first time. The entry form says I can use styrofoam instead of cake for the base, which I plan to do, it being July in Cincinnati (HUMID!). My question is, how is the best way to get my fondant to stick to the styrofoam (do I use buttercream, or something else)? And is there a specific kind of styrofoam I should use for this purpose? Is there anything else I should know before I just get started?

Thanks, seasoned competitors!

w

8 replies
BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 9

there are cake dummies you can buy. Either online or at a baking supply store. in texas we have www.allinonebakeshop.com but i'm sure there are many others on her that know where to get some. I cover it with buttercream then whatever else. You csn also first cover it in plastic wrap so you can reuse it. HTH some.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 9

You can use an all shortening buttercream, piping gel or simply water. You want to use a firm hard styrofoam, just like cake dummies.

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 9

I too have the same questions, I am thinking about entering our fair for the first time. Also, seasoned CCer's if I don't want to use fondant is it better to ice my cake in buttercream or royal icing?

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 9

I would stick with an all shortening buttercream.

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 9

thank you!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 9

I used just shortening under the fondant. And make sure you file down the edges of the foam so you don't have sharp corners that will tear your fondant.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 9

Good Topic!

I spritz the dummies with water and apply fondant directly to it. When I'm ready to reuse them, I just soak them in warm water (the fondant will come off) and let them dry really good before using them again.

I have also made buttercream dummies with a Sweetex (or all shortening recipe) and they last a pretty long time also.

Good luck in your competition!!

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 9

I also use only shortening. It's cheaper.

I read on here that some people cover their dummies with saran wrap before the shortening or icing, and then they just have to peel it off. I have done this a couple of times, but have had issues getting it perfectly smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%