Noob Question About Styrofoam For Competition

Decorating By drwendy Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm by 2508s42

drwendy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 9

I'm planning to enter my local county fair this year for the first time. The entry form says I can use styrofoam instead of cake for the base, which I plan to do, it being July in Cincinnati (HUMID!). My question is, how is the best way to get my fondant to stick to the styrofoam (do I use buttercream, or something else)? And is there a specific kind of styrofoam I should use for this purpose? Is there anything else I should know before I just get started?

Thanks, seasoned competitors!

8 replies
BellaSweet Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 9

there are cake dummies you can buy. Either online or at a baking supply store. in texas we have but i'm sure there are many others on her that know where to get some. I cover it with buttercream then whatever else. You csn also first cover it in plastic wrap so you can reuse it. HTH some.

tlreetz Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 9

You can use an all shortening buttercream, piping gel or simply water. You want to use a firm hard styrofoam, just like cake dummies.

scnix Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 9

I too have the same questions, I am thinking about entering our fair for the first time. Also, seasoned CCer's if I don't want to use fondant is it better to ice my cake in buttercream or royal icing?

tlreetz Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 9

I would stick with an all shortening buttercream.

scnix Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 9

thank you!

BrandisBaked Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 9

I used just shortening under the fondant. And make sure you file down the edges of the foam so you don't have sharp corners that will tear your fondant.

mjs4492 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 9

Good Topic!

I spritz the dummies with water and apply fondant directly to it. When I'm ready to reuse them, I just soak them in warm water (the fondant will come off) and let them dry really good before using them again.

I have also made buttercream dummies with a Sweetex (or all shortening recipe) and they last a pretty long time also.

Good luck in your competition!!

2508s42 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 9

I also use only shortening. It's cheaper.

I read on here that some people cover their dummies with saran wrap before the shortening or icing, and then they just have to peel it off. I have done this a couple of times, but have had issues getting it perfectly smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%