Ok So This Is Totally Random!!!

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 11:15pm by TexasSugar

BellaSweet Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering if it was okay to make cornbread with buttermilk. I don't have time to stop at the store for more milk. And we have church tonight. Wednesday night are always a mad rush for dinner. I'm sure someone could answer this????

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 6

My favorite cornbread recipe has buttermilk in it. It isn't made from a mix though, so I don't know how that would change it. If you have some corn meal at home I'll type of the recipe for ya. icon_smile.gif

BellaSweet Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 6

thank you. I'm sure this will help. I always do ny cornbread from the little yellow bag.

TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 6

Corn Bread "Deep South Side"
(Makes 10-inch skillet of corn bread)

1 3/4 c White Corn Meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 c buttermilk
3 tablespoons shortening

Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Combine egg and buttermilk. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened. Melt shortening in a 10in (#icon_cool.gif iron skillet and add to batter. Pour batter in to the hot skillet. Bake in a hot oven (450) about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

This is a recipe my mom got off the side of a box years and years ago. It is the corn bread I grew up on. We have halved the recipe (using the whole egg) and made a smaller skillet of it with out a problem. We also use canola oil instead of the shortening. And we have used powder buttermilk as well.

veejaytx Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you TexasSugar, for that recipe. I have never been able to get my mother (born and raised in East Texas) to write down her recipe for corn bread, and I think this has to be it! She even uses a package mix these days (she will be 94 in November,) but I still think her "from scratch" was the best!

TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 6

Try it out and let me know. icon_smile.gif This cornbread has a yummy crust on the bottom, my favorite part I think, and a great flavor. Pretty much the only cornbread I eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%