Buttercream Icing

Decorating By jollysweet7 Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 8:17pm by momofjil

jollysweet7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jollysweet7 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone, I'm a new member to CC and consider myself a first timer at baking/decorating. I would like to know how to make buttercream icing without crisco and that is not so, so sweet. icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 6

Look in the recipe section for either Italian Meringue or Swiss Meringue buttercream icon_smile.gif Good luck!

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 6

Welcome & good luck! I recommend the recipe boards as well!

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 6

here's a really good video tutorial for a delicious swiss meringue buttercream: http://dyannbakes.com/index.php?post_id=154155

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 6

I just made Italian Merinque Buttercream for the first time. . .from the "Whimsical Bakehouse" Book. . .OMG! I am a committed IMBC user from here on out. . .unless, of course the bride is set on white-white icing.

i also found a recipe in the ICES newsletter this month that says it's a not-so-sweet bright white BC "for those with a sensitive palette". it uses high-ration shortening and some other product called britewhite (or something like that - don't have the recipe on hand). i will try that since i am an american buttercream dislike-r. not a hater!

momofjil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofjil Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 6

I add a couple of dashes of salt to my buttercream icing and that seems to cut down on sweetness. Something to remember when you are looking at heat and humidity is that if you make a recipe with butter vs crisco, there will be a melting factor. Welcome to cake decorating. It is addictive!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%