Needed: Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake For Carving

Baking By amysue99 Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm by malishka

amysue99 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 14

Does anyone have a good recipe? I've looked at the vegan chocolat cake in the recipes, or maybe the mayonnaise cake. Can I replace the sour cream in a WASC chocolate variation with mayonnaise? I just want something dense enough to carve without having a zillion crumbs and hours of cursing!

13 replies
malishka Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 14

Hi Amysue99,
I don't know the vegan rules, but I do follow kosher rules and my cakes, usually eaten after a meaty meal, have to be dairy free. So I'll give you this advice for a dairy free cake.
I don't know if you are a fan of box mixes. For a dense cake I use the chocolate Dunken Hinez cake mix and follow their directions on the side of the box that calls for pudding in the mix. This makes it a denser cake for stacking and carving, plus it's dairy free. If you're worried about it not being moist enough, don't! It's just perfect.
good luck!

ahuvas Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 14

Im also a kosher baker and most of my recipes are dairy free for sake of ease. This is an excellent chocolate cake recipe that I inherited from my grandmother. Its a bit crumby but if you freeze before carve its perfect.

Serving size: Serves 10 or more

INGREDIENTS

2 cups (500ml) water
3 cups (660g) caster sugar
250g butter, chopped
1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted
3 cups (450g) self-raising flour
4 eggs, beaten lightly

Combine the water, sugar, butter and combined sifted cocoa powder and soda in medium saucepan; stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves (use as large a pot as you have as it puffs up a lot - don't leave the stove top as it can boil over very easily but I usually do not boil it for 5 minutes). Bring to a boil then reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to large bowl; cool to room temperature.

Add flour and egg to bowl; beat with electric mixer until mixture is smooth and changed to a paler colour. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Bake cake in moderate oven about 50 minutes in a moderate (350) oven. The cake is ready when you press on centre and it springs back. Turn down the oven a little if it is browning too quickly on sides.

This cake is pretty much no fail.

amysue99 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks guys!

amysue99 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 14

Malishka - Do you add the pudding mix when using that recipe? If so, isn't there dry milk in the mix?

malishka Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 14

amysue,
The instant pudding pie filling does not have a dairy kosher sign on it. so I know it is non-dairy. Some of them are, but the vanilla and the chocolate ones that I buy are not.
Ahuvas, thank you for that recipe, but isn't butter dairy or can I substitude it with margarine?

ahuvas Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 14

Sorry I automatically substitute with margarine. In fact Ive only really had real butter once or twice in my life icon_smile.gif

malishka Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 14

Ahuvas,
Butter is yummy.
One more question if you don't mind.
what is caster sugar? is it the same as powdered sugar? And bicarbonate of soda, is that the same as baking soda?
sorry, I don't bake much from scratch, but I would like to start. So some of the ingredients are all new to me.
Is one type of margarine better than another?
I use Fleishmen's non salted.
And also, last question, I promise.
I am looking for kosher luster dust and silver and gold as well. can you pm me if you know of any. I realize it doesn't pertain to the topic in this forum.
I am doing so many cakes and would like ti highlight them with different chalks, dusts and golds, but can't because there's no koshersign on them.

ahuvas Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 14

Bicarb soda = baking soda
caster sugar = finely ground sugar - not powdered sugar. I usually just use plain white table sugar.

I often use an Australian brand of margarine that comes in a tub (its not the spreadable type but the baking type) but also use a "kosher" brand called Migdal margarine - it all does the same job. Even when I have left out eggs by accident the cake still worked well.

You can buy kosher petal dust from Country Kitchen USA called "Crystal Colours" or something like this -not all colours have kosher certification so check their website. The crystal colors is the only product I have been able to find with kosher certification.

You can buy gold and silver from Wilton. I think its the Pearl Dust product (not the shimmer dust)

malishka Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 14

ahuva,
thaks soooo much. I will be on the lookout for crystal colours. I will try to use your chocolate cake recipe in my next bat mitvah cake that is due in 2 weeks from now.
You have been a tramendouse help.
Pm me anytime.

Amysue99, I hope this thread has helped you a little.

amysue99 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 14

Yes, ladies, it has. Thank you so much. I ended up using one of the extender recipes that uses pudding mix instead of sour cream. I would have never thought about it if you hadn't said something about using the pudding mix, Malishka. Thanks!

denette Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 14

Amysue- I didn't see the REASON you need a dairy free cake...an allergy, vegan or another reason? With margarine, a lot of them still have whey in them.

It looks like you've got some good response, but
I've also got a dense chocolate cake that I've made dairy free. You can PM me if you still need it.

amysue99 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:41am
post #13 of 14

The family who requested the cake are allergic to cow's milk.

malishka Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm
post #14 of 14

has anyone ever tried using soy milk in their recipies? does it have the same effect as regular milk? Just curious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%