Serving Size And Air Bubbles In My Bc!!

Decorating By Shanille21 Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 9:48pm by indydebi

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone.
I have some questions.....

i need to make a few sheet cakes and i am confused about serving amount.

I need to feed 40 people for a bridal shower and hate to fill and torte sheet cakes. what size should i use. Does the guide in the wilton books mean i need to tort and fill to get that amount of servings? Is that for any pan? I hope im expalning this right!

How do i avoid air bubbles in my frosting.

I use the wilton bc recipe with a few variations of my own. I add salt to cut sweetness, use heavy cream instead of water and i use store brand shorting b/c it has trans fat. (For fat i use half butter too).I try not to beat it too fast.
Thanks for the help!!

Shannon.

PS- I LOVE CAKE CENTRAL!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

4 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 5

you have to fill the mixer bowl up!

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 5

Do not mix with a whip & do not over-mix... even when I mix with a paddle it causes air bubbles. Air just gets mixed in if you don't do it by hand (and even then, I believe some gets in). I'm not an expert, but this is what I have read & experienced.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 5

Ok i always had the same problem, and i use toba garrets decorators buttercream. What I just recently discovered is if i make it a head of time and refidgerate it, and then remix it just so that it is soft enough to work with. it is much better for a smooth effect.

the thing is this frosting fills my 5qt bowl with just one recipe, and i still got bubbles. i was so pleased when this happen. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 5

My icing doesn't cover the paddle .... I beat it for a long time. I don't have an air bubble problem.

I don't view the long-beating time as "beating in air". I view it as pulverizing the fat so the particles are micro-mini. Any "hunks" of fat will create pockets and craters when spreading the icing.

The longer I beat it .... the smoother it gets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%