Question About Dowel Rods

Decorating By froggyqueen Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm by namaman

froggyqueen Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 5

For a pirate ship cake that will be setting on a sheet cake, how is it the easiest to do?
I was thinking of decorating the sheet cake and add dowel rods and then place the ship on top already decorated and on top of cardboard and pip water around the bottom to cover. Would I need to spear another dowel through the ship?
I have never used dowel rods before and am very nervous. I have watched videos but what happens if they are not straight? Any tips are gladly appreciated. Thanks!

4 replies
froggyqueen Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 5

can anyone help me? please?

JenniferMI Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 5

I use dowels ALL the time, love them! I do cover each one (very easy) in thin alum. foil so the wood doesn't have contact with the cake. You have the right idea....make the ship bottom board a little bigger, then you can cover it, this will add more stability. You can use sharp scewers (like for shish kaboob) to drive thru the ship and down thru the ship bottom board. This will add stability, too. Oh, I use plain ole prunning shears (from the garden dept. to cut my dowels.) It works great!

Best wishes to you!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

froggyqueen Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks! At least it is for my own son, so if it goes bad, he won't mind! LOL

namaman Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 5

I actually did a fairly large pirate ship on a sheet cake and just used plastic straws for the supports under it. They really do work better than you might think and are a lot easier to cut. I did make the cardboard a little bigger below the cake so it would make the ship more stable, but the straws worked just fine...

Quote by @%username% on %date%