Army Helmet Grooms Cake

Decorating By mcdonald Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 4:44pm by DianeLM

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 4

I need ya'lls help please!!!

I have had a bride ask me to make a groom's cake in the shape of an army helmet. I am not quite sure how I would do this. I have attached a picture for any help or advise!!! I would assume that I would stack 2 or 3 layers and there would be some carving involved around the top and bottom. WOuld the fondant just be different colors rolled together? How would I get the shape at the bottom of the helmet?? any help is always appreciated!!!

picture of cake:

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/airforcechic2006/Wedding/army%20wedding/?action=view¤t=groomshelmetcake.jpg

3 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 4

I've done two army helmets like that. Both were made with the Wilton half soccer ball pan on top of a 9-inch round. The camo on one helmet is blobs of fondant rolled out and the other is done with buttercream.
LL
LL

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 4

your cakes are awesome!!! Love the dog tag idea too!!!

Do you have any tips or suggestions???

Thanks for your pictures!! I hope to use them as guides

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the nice compliments! These cakes are so blasted easy, the only tip I can think of is... add the 'flare' around the bottom of the helmet by wrapping a rope of of fondant around the cake, then smoothing it into the flare shape. Cover with icing.

Let me know if I can help with anything specific.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%