Baby Shower For My Friend? Need Ideas!

Lounge By Shelle_75 Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 12:54pm by sarahpierce

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 8

My friend is having her NINTH baby in January. I'm pretty certain she hasn't had a baby shower in fifteen years. I want to do something for her, like a luncheon or something (WITH cake, of course!), but I need ideas of what to do. Can I have a theme where everyone brings a different size of diapers, or something like that? I just want to do something to make her feel special, but I don't know if I should just let people bring her whatever baby gifts they want or if I should make it a diaper theme or clothes theme or whatever. I'm totally lost. Help, please!!!

7 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 8

Well, since this is her 9th child (doesn't matter how long ago her last shower was), people might feel a bit put off at the idea of bringing gifts.

Maybe instead of a shower, you could just do the luncheon with her as the guest of honor. That would still make her feel special without putting others off.

If you refer to it as a shower, people will feel they are expected to bring gifts, if you just refer to it as a luncheon, they might feel more willing to join in, and just have fun.

HTH!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 8

Great you are thinking of this - nine children, wow!!

Do you know if she is in a position where she needs anything? You could center your theme around that.

I find its always nice if the mother-to-be registers somewhere so I can bring a gift I know she wants. If she doesn't register, I simply give a gift card (you know the old saying - "its easier to turn money into a toaster than a toaster into money")

p.s. - I see your's is due soon! thumbs_up.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 8

do a NINE theme

working 9 to five
music by 9 inch nails
song: "About a quarter to 9"
movie and stage musical: Nine
Nine planets in solar system (aw...one for each kid -- which one is Mars -- the little terror of the group)
TV show: The Nine

----

and diapers are always needed -- which could fit the nine theme two -- game of take 9 diapers and make a hat from them (to crown her the diaper queen)

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 8

I don't think people would be put off to bringing gifts. If she hasn't had a baby shower in 15 years, she's bound to need SOME new stuff! 15 year old bottles? EW! Clothes/blankets/bibs that have been handed down through 8 kids over the last 15 years? Double EW! Just handle it tactfully, so the guests know she isn't asking for anything, but that any gifts are appreciated. Those who want to bring a gift, will! Those who don't, won't! I think diaper showers are kind of a waste. A friend of mine had one and she got all the same sizes and she had nowhere to put the 20, or so, packages she received. I know she told me later that she would've loved some new blankets, bibs or other things that a baby can wear out really fast (and those things aren't expensive either). There's also so much new stuff! I love the swaddle blankets! That's just my 2 cents.

As for a theme, I actually like Doug's nine planets idea. You could make it babyish. Make a cake with a half ball on top for the sun (the mom-to-be) and have nine planets going around the bottom tier, each with a child's name. I think that would be cute!

ResaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ResaB Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 8

We are planning a garden tea party for my sister in law that is expecting this fall. We are planning on making it very elegant with no games. We plan on having petit fours, finger sandwiches, and a few other things. Then we will do tea and possibly homemade lemonade.

edited because I can't spell

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you for all your input! I really like Doug's idea, too!

I think I am just going to have a luncheon (with some sort of nine theme) and not even mention gifts, that way, like ya'll said, if people want to bring her something they can, and if they don't, they won't.

Thanks again!

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 8

How about "nine lives", and make it a kitty theme? I love cats, and no I'm not the crazy cat lady icon_confused.gif !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%