How To Make Bamboo

Decorating By doodlebugs Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm by doodlebugs

doodlebugs Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:32am
post #1 of 12

I am making a Kung Fu Panda cake for this weekend and the person wants a border in bamboo. I have never made bamboo in buttercream or in fondant so I am looking for any tips that anyone may have. She is using characters that she has purchased on top so I have to come up with a background. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks

11 replies
2txmedics Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:48am
post #2 of 12

I saw somewhere in this web site...think it was a square wedding cake...the woman made the bamboo out of b/c icing...she colored it the brownish color....then she piped it with a plain tip that is her desired thickness...then she got darker brown or black almost...and every few steps she did lines down ...for the bamboo dark ridges...hope this can even two tone the brown or hand paint streaks on it once its dry.

l l l l this is how the marks would look once piped ...sorry best I can do. good luck....

dragonflydreams Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:15am
post #3 of 12

. . . although this is not a border, it does give you some idea how to make authentic looking bamboo . . .

here is a couple of styles of border . . .

good luck . . . and be sure to post your finished masterpiece . . . thumbs_up.gif

ibmoser Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:39am
post #4 of 12

Rebecca Sutterby also showed how to make fondant bamboo on one of the TV appearances that she does - check out her mini-tutorials at

Bamboo is 4th from the bottom...

beachcakes Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:50am
post #5 of 12

Thanks so much for this! I was just looking through old American Cake Decoratings last night looking for the same thing - I know it's in one of them! icon_smile.gif

jenbenjr Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 12

I actually just did a cake with a bamboo border not too long ago. I just used buttercream and a #12 tip. I wanted to go back and paint a darker brown down the cracks where the bamboo started and stopped but I forgot! icon_sad.gif Anyway, the cake is in my pics if you want to take a look.

LeanneW Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 12

BrandiBakes on you tube has a great bamboo tutorial

dragonflydreams Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 12

. . . oh yes, Brandi's is fabulous if you are looking to do the entire side of a cake . . .

ibmoser Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 12

Wow - hadn't seen Brandi's before - fabulous! Thanks for posting that link thumbs_up.gif

fondantgrl Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 12

Did this a month ago... the Bamboo Handle of the purse:

beachcakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 12

fondantgrl - that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

doodlebugs Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 12

Here is a picture of the finished Kung Fu Panda cake that I have been stressing over. Thanks for everyones advice and instructions with the bamboo fondant. I wasn't that happy with it but the child liked it and the parents were happy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%