Pillow Cake???

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm by SweetPea0613

SweetPea0613 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:49am
post #1 of 8

Do you think I'm being too ambitious in wanting to do a pillow cake??

I just love how they look and I think it would be a good challenge for me since I'm just starting out...hmmmmmmmm icon_confused.gif

7 replies
JanH Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:06am
post #2 of 8

Here's a CC article that might help making your pillow cake a bit easier:

And for everything else to complete the cake....

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered cake:

Indydebi's illustrated guide to cutting neat slices of cake:

Look forward to seeing pics! icon_smile.gif

AmyGonzalez Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:04am
post #3 of 8

JanH has posted some very helpful info. icon_biggrin.gif I think you should go for it. I'm looking forward to tring one of those cakes too. They just look so elegant and fun to make. Let us know how it turns out! thumbs_up.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:09am
post #4 of 8

I made a pillow cake when I first started icon_smile.gif It was my first time making mmf and my first time using fondant and carving a cake. I learned a lot from it, I say go for it!!

mgdqueen Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:26am
post #5 of 8

go for it! As far as carving goes, the pillow cake is the most simple to begin with-have fun and don't get too frustrated. If it doesn't turn out exactly like you thought, it IS a pillow afterall! thumbs_up.gif

poshcakedesigns Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:31am
post #6 of 8

They are not as hard as you might think. I recently made 2 and they went pretty fast and I even had to cover them in BC which I so dreaded but it worked great. I hope my next one will be covered in fondant.

Go for it - icon_biggrin.gif

bonnierh Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:39am
post #7 of 8

I used the instructions here to do one for my daughter. It was easier to carve than you would think looking at a picture of the finished cake, and she loved it. I was nervous to start one myself but now I'm glad I did. You'll do fine.

SweetPea0613 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone so much for your input!!

It looks pretty easy but I still worry about everthing...I know it'll turn out awesome!

I'll try it next week ( gotta move this week..ugh)

Quote by @%username% on %date%