What's In Your Gumpaste Arsenal??

Decorating By servingzero Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm by superstar

servingzero Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone

I have just started to experiment with gumpaste. Done a few flowers, and it got me wondering just what I ought to have in my own (still very small now...) arsenal of 'gumpastery' (yes I made that word up)!!

Example, what you are favourite, must have cutters? Is there a brand that's better than another? Any secret weapon tools? Any gems of knowledge? Any common household items that do double duty?

icon_smile.gif I look forward to reading hints from you gumpaste pros! Or pros-in-training. icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
jess85 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:23am
post #2 of 9

in my kit i have: a good non stick board, and rolling pin, clear plastic tablecloth, in pieces that fit my board size to keep paste from drying out. then the usual ball/bone/dresden tools, sugar bag, a range of paintbrushes, toothpicks, scalpel, petal pad, different foams and drying stands.
metal cutters are always a good, reliable option, i like to try out the jem/PME and orchard cutters too. sometimes the flowers and leaves are more reallistic. more detail in the cutter or something (rose leaves and carnations for example). you paste has to be super thin with plastic cutters though.
Veiners are great too to add texture and realism to your pieces.

shorty56 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:26am
post #3 of 9

i LOVE all my cutters that I bought from Jen Dontz! hers are usually the best and will give you the most realistic results (IMHO). here is her website: www.jenniferdontz.com

she also has some videos out, i've just ordered them adn i can't wait for them to arrive!

i really like having a good quality ball tool. i started with the little plastic one, and i love my metal one so much more!

a cooling rack works great for drying your flowers on. just prop it up on some aluminum cans and you can hang your flowers upside down on it.

Sugarflowers Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:46am
post #4 of 9

All of the above as well as a shelf rack for hanging flowers, foam door hangers for softening pads. My favorite tool is my wooden veining stick (like a silk veining tool).

Some double use cutters are rose petal cutters to make various leaves, piping tips can be used for many things. With round tips you can use either side to make different things. The small end can be used to make pearls, impressions, even centers for small whimsical flowers. The large end can make designs, rose petals, and other whimsical designs.

Enjoy your new addiction.

Michele

TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #5 of 9

Check out this post... icon_smile.gif

Gumpaste Tool Kit for flower-making:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54056-gumpaste.html+tools

snowshoe1 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 9

Get yourself a metal ball tool with some substance. I used the plastic one that comes in the kits for a while and, wow, what a difference the metal one makes.

I've spent too much money on cutters that are just taking up space in a drawer (would be worth it I were in the business and had to make a lot of the same flower). I find its just as easy to make your own template and cutout with an exacto knife (thinning the petal gets rid of any marks).

Great link from the previous poster!!

jessienj Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 9

I really like Scott Clark Wooley's cutters and veiners. They are metal, reasonably priced and great quality.
-metal ball tool
-nonstick board - I have like 2 of those
-nonstick rolling pin
-small container to hold shortening
-small container with cornstarch
-good quality brushes for adding details
-find a good recipe for gumpaste that works for you

Kaybaby Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 9

I'm going to start with one metal ball tool to try on the calla lillies, what size should I buy?

Thanks so much,

Vonda

superstar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #9 of 9

OK, my name is June & I am a cutter & tool junkie.... that actually goes for anything to do with cake decorating, I need to join cake decorators anonymous(sp) LOL. Anyway a good metal ball tool is invaluable, a celstick, foam pads, small sharp scissors & small sharp knife. A good set of 5 petal blossom cutters is also a good idea & a good set of veiners. Global have an excellent range of items, take your time & try & think what you will use a certain cutter for, try & visualize how many things you could make with that cutter, then decide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%