Moist Chocolate Cake

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 12:03pm by 1234me

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:34am
post #1 of 4

I found a recipe on www.allrecipes.com for "Too Much Chocolate Cake". It's an awesome recipe and I absolutely love it WHEN it turns out. But for some reason, it's inconsistent. Sometimes the cake is soooo dense it's almost like eating a brownie type cake without the gooey yumminess of a brownie. I can't stand it.

I feel like I can't consider myself a decent decorator until I can CONSISTENTLY bake a light and moist chocolate cake. When that recipe works it is FANTASTIC. But I just can't figure out for the life of me what is going wrong when the cake doesn't rise up fully and gets too dense. (I leave out the chocolate chips most of the time)

Any insight would be much appreciated. Here's the recipe.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
* 1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 4 eggs
* 1/2 cup warm water
* 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs and water. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour batter into a well greased 12 cup bundt pan.
3. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cake thoroughly in pan at least an hour and a half before inverting onto a plate If desired, dust the cake with powdered sugar.

3 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 4

Okay, here's what I do with that recipe....make it as directed and mix it with a second batch of regular cake mix (without all the fancy add-ins-just as directed on the box). This solved my "brownie-cake' problem. It won't work if you are only wanting an 8" cake but I just use the extra for cakeballs. HTH

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:00am
post #3 of 4

And it is just as yummy and moist without the inconsistency? It sounds like it might work. And it will make extra cake but not as expensive as if you did the variation 2x's.

I'm gonna have to try the cake ball thing. I've never done it.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 4

I use that same recipe from the cake mix doctor book. Mine doesn't seem to rise as much as I would like for it to. i added a little less water yesterday when I made it and it seemed to rise more. Just FYI....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%