Question On Icing Falling Off Cake

Decorating By thjoghild Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 1:49am by step0nmi

thjoghild Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all! I did my first wedding cake this past weekend. I'm from Texas but travelled to Chicago to make this cake. It was beautiful and everyone loved it, but I had a little problem. I frosted and decorated the cakes on Friday morning and the wedding was on Saturday evening. When I was assembling the cakes, some of the piping was falling off the cake. I figured it happened because I decorated it the day before, probably should piped the decorations on Saturday morning. Do y'all have any ideas, suggestion, comments? I thought it might also be a climate thing...we're used to lots of humidity in Texas but the area i was in was not humid at all. Thanks everyone! thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
PinkZiab Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 6

I think a little more info would help us helo you: Was it all buttercream? Fondant? Royal Icing? Let us know what was piped on what and maybe someone will have a suggestion icon_smile.gif

thjoghild Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 6

Sorry...it was all buttercream.

step0nmi Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:12am
post #4 of 6

ok...did you ice the cakes the day before and not decorate them until the day after? that could be the issue...because you buttercream probably crusted over which would've created a barrier for the new fresh frosting to not adhere to the crusted bc.

the other issue could've been that it was warm and if you used the 0 trans fat crisco...people have been having problems like this

could it have been one of those?

thjoghild Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:36am
post #5 of 6

Well, I used the regular Crisco sticks, not the trans fat one. I iced and frosted the same day. The temperature there was only in the 80's, no where near the 100's we have here. I know the cakes weren't warm because I baked them the day before.

step0nmi Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:49am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thjoghild

Well, I used the regular Crisco sticks, not the trans fat one. I iced and frosted the same day. The temperature there was only in the 80's, no where near the 100's we have here. I know the cakes weren't warm because I baked them the day before.

well...it's not about the cakes being warm...it IS however the heat and the humidity...see...the new crisco has 0 trans fat which doesn't allow for your buttercream to crust up...which is what you need in the heat...if you used the crisco sticks I am pretty sure this was your case...we have had a LOT of stories on here about frosting falling off of cakes...sorry this happened to you.

you are better off finding an off brand shortening that has trans fat in it to fix your problem...especially in Texas! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%