Question For Aibrush Users...

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 5:43am by littlecake

SharonK1973 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 10

So, we got some extra money and I am going to use some of it to buy an airbrush system. But I have a few questions: What is a good airbrush to get. Someone mentioned something about Paasche. Is that a good one? I am not going to be to much detailing, just for finishing touches and stencil work mostly. Also, does the compressor have to be a special one or will just a basic one get the job done? Any extra tips and information you have to offer will be greatly appreciated as well.

9 replies
SharonK1973 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:34am
post #2 of 10

Anyone there?????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone!!!!!!!!!

littlecake Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:05am
post #3 of 10

hi sharon, i been using the airbrush i got from decopac, and the cute lil purple air compressor that comes with has lasted for years.

i wouldn't think...(but i don't know) that you would use the same kind of air compressor that you would use say, with an air hammer, or brad nailer.

plus you want one with a gravity fed cup on the top...not the little jars on the bottom.

paasche is supposed to be a really good brand...make sure to get the gravity fed type and you should be ok.

Cakepro Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:20am
post #4 of 10

I have a double-action Paasche airbrush, which I thought I really loved, but all of my airbrushing had been limited to covering really big areas of cake, backgrounds, sunsets, that kind of thing...nothing fine or detailed.

Well, two days ago I took an airbrushing class with Bronwen Weber ( Sadly, while finally learning how to airbrush small things, it sucked. She used it and said that while it would be excellent for shooting pearl dust through, it is not good for doing detail work on cakes. So, I used a model GD100 from Airbrush City and I really loved it...and ordered one yesterday. icon_biggrin.gif

Toward the end of the day, we had to sculpt, ice, and fondant a cake, then add details and airbrush it. Well, I put some color in my Paasche airbrush's color cup, and she walked over to me, grabbed it, held on to it, and told me I would be sorry if I used it on my cake. LOL. I ended up using the Airbrush City gun and did a great job on my cake.

SO.....I'll use my Paasche for the pearl dust, and the GD100 for everything else...until I get to try a Kopykake airbrush, which a couple of amazing cake decorators have recommended to me... and then I might have a new favorite. icon_smile.gif

Long story short, the double-action Paasche was too large for detail work on cakes.

SharonK1973 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:20am
post #5 of 10

Thanks littlecake, your information definitely helped. I really appreciate it!

SharonK1973 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:24am
post #6 of 10

That is very good to know Cakepro. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind. BTW, what do you mean by "shooting pearl dust"?

Cakepro Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:24am
post #7 of 10

That just means airbrushing pearl dust onto cakes...a super-nifty thing to do! icon_biggrin.gif

Forgot to mention...some airbrushes (like my Paasche) have both a gravity-fed cup and a siphon-fed jar...and both work just fine. The drawback of the little cup is that you have to keep adding color. You use the jar when covering big areas.....which is awesome, because I can just keep my jar filled with pearl dust and vodka and it's ready to go.

Cakepro Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:28am
post #8 of 10

(Oh jeez, I am all full of information today) About the can use any type you want as long as the psi is between 18 and 30. There were all different kinds in use at our class. The best one for our purposes is the Airmaster Plus, which is available on Kopykake's website, as it has adjustable airflow. That's the most expensive part of getting an airbrush system. Anything over 30 psi will blow holes in your icing.

amysue99 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:40am
post #9 of 10

I have a Kopykake compressor and airbrush and like them. I don't do any detail work yet, just covering cakes. I have heard goodthings about the ones that Roland Winbeckler sells on his website. That it does really great detail work without spattering. I'm not sure of the website, just google Winbeckler and it'll pop up.

littlecake Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:43am
post #10 of 10

i'm sorry...i meant to say you WOULDDN'T use a regular air compressor...duh, sorry.

you will find it to be one of the handiest tools you got! you are lovin the one from airbrush city for small detail work?...i was thinking of buying another one for that purpose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%