Idea For Little Girl Turning One

Decorating By catin Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm by iluvjay829

catin Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 18

I just received a message in my e-mail , requesting a Cake for a little Girl Turning One . The Mom wants a Cake to serve 25 plus a little smash Cake .

I'm stuck on ideas at the moment , thought that you guys could help me out .

The little girl's nursery is decorated in butterflies (that's all i got for the mother)

17 replies
Doug Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 18

here's a sketch.

very big fancy butterfly holding it's cocoon.

the cocoon is the smash cake.

(somehow I can cut a butterfly cake, but just can't bring self to smash one)

lilyanddayne Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 18

catin Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #4 of 18

Thanks for the lovely design Doug! But I have to agree with lilyanddayne . It's a little scary for a first birthday . LOL!!

tracey1970 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #5 of 18

In my photos, I did a big number one carved out of a 12"x18" pan. It wasn't anything elaborate, and it was the first serious cake I ever made. But it worked!

jammjenks Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:34am
post #6 of 18

Do a search for butterflies.

I thought this one was adorable. You could do a little 4" one for the top as a smash:

This is a cute one too:

The possibilities are endless...

catin Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 18

Thank you so very much for all your great ideas .

I just got another email .. about the colors that she would like and how she would like it to be decorated . The colors are two or three different shades of Pink with Lime Green as accent all made with Buttercream (no fondant ). oh! BTW I need to get this done by the 11th is on the 12th.

The think tank is empty ... Can you help me refuel it ..LOL .

Thank you again

crystalina1977 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 18

there's a cute photo of chocolate transfer butterflies around here. i'll try to get the link and post it.

crystalina1977 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 18

I hope that works, i'm terrible at this stuff. you could use any colors you wanted to make the butterflies

BethG Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 18

You could always go with the Theme of what the party is. For instance on my granddaughters 1st birthday the larger cake looked just like tthe napkin

menina Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 18

Here's a cake I have saved in my favorites. It's iced in buttercream with small fondant accents.
We've done the lady bug/butterfly/flower theme a few times at my house.
You can change the main buttercream color if you want and even change the ladybug to pink. A little ladybug also makes an adorable smash cake.
Good luck!

BlueRoseCakes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 18

I would do a cake in the shape of a 1 with butterflies on it. Shaped cakes always seem to catch the eye more, even if it's just a simple number. I did one that just had frosting ballons on it (in my photos) and it was a super easy shape to make and frost.

toodlesjupiter Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #13 of 18

What about the Hugs and Stitches cakes that are so popular? They are usually pink/green/yellow and other pastels with butterflies.

Here's a couple done all in BC.

Can you do fondant accents? Here's some done in fondant, that you could ice in BC and use fondant accents.

toodlesjupiter Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 18

Here's one more mostly in BC:

Here's a totally different style with a piped butterfly that is awesome:

missmeg Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #15 of 18

I was brand-new to decorating at the time I did my dd's first birthday, but it was a butterfly theme:

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:32am
post #16 of 18

missmeg tht is absolutely adorable! the colors are so pretty too.

missmeg Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:48pm
post #17 of 18

Awww, thanks icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif . That was literally the FIRST cake I did post-Wilton Course I. My dd's first birthday was actually the reason I took Course I. I'd always loved baking, and with her first b-day approaching, I wanted to do something I'd never done before. So I took Course I in July, and her birthday party was the week after the course ended.

The color scheme came from the plates/napkins we were using for the party.

Of course I look at it now and see (1) a hundred things wrong with the cake, and (2) a hundred different other ways I could have used that butterfly theme in a cake.

I've come a long way in 5 years I guess icon_wink.gif .

iluvjay829 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #18 of 18

I know I'm probably a little late, but this was a baby shower cake I did, but it matches your theme and colors. This one was covered in mmf, but you could do buttercream too. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%