Chocolate Mousse Filling And Fondant

Decorating By 1BAKED453 Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 12:59am by fondantgrl

1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 9

IS IT POSSIBLETO HAVE A FONDANT COVERED CAKE WITH A CHOCOLATE MOUSSE FILLING?WILL THE MOUSSE NOT SPOIL AFTER IT IS COVERED WITH FONDANT AND DECORATED?IT WILL NOT BE REFRIDGERATED AFTER IT IS COVERED AND I AM CONCERNED THAT THE MOUSSE WILL GO BAD.PLEASE ADVISE

8 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 9

I would not leave a mousse filled cake out. Why can it not be refrigerated. I refrigerate all of my fondant cakes, fully decorated.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #3 of 9

Mousse is hardly or never recommended as a filling because mousse is very soft and fondant is heavy. If the outside is whipped cream, then it is fine, but it has to be refrigerated. Mousse is not ideal for wedding cakes at all since the wedding cake has to be done way ahead of time and will sit on that cake table for HOURS.. icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:39am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

Mousse is hardly or never recommended as a filling

First I'm hearing of this. Here (NYC metro area) Mousse (both chocolate and fruit) is one of the most popular cake fillings for wedding cakes and others. Almost all of my tiered cakes have at least one mousse layer, and I only work in fondant... I've never had a problem with the weight of the fondant.[/quote]

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:33am
post #5 of 9

I've always refrigerated all my fondant cakes, and I've done mousse in them before and had no problems, except one last year where I had one cake settle a bit after sitting outside in 96 DEGREE HEAT with mousse and fondant, and you could see a bit of bulging, but nothing bad (very, very minor, but *I* saw it...)

I'd do it for indoor weddings only now...but I do have a mousse cake for outside this weekend, covered in Bettercreme though.

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:56am
post #6 of 9

i know this isn't about the mousse topic but i just wanted to comment on the refrigerating fondant... i have refrigerated fondat cakes before and when i took them out they sweated and the fondant was all sticky. i dont know if the weather here in Puerto Rico has to do anything with it but at least thats my experience.

1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:23am
post #7 of 9

I ALSO DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD REFRIGERATE FONDANT COVERED CAKES.WILL TRY IT OUT

Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 9

I did a whipped ganache filling (very mousse-like) for a wedding cake on June 21st. It was in one tier of a 3 tier cake and covered in fondant. I kept it refridgerated till the event, then assembled the cake on site. The fondant did sweat at first, but there was no noticeable problem other than being sticky for a bit, but no one touched it but me. lol I did make sure that the cake was only out for about 2 hours, in a shaded and cool spot. It came out great! I wasn't very pleased with how the cake looked so I didn't upload any pictures, but that had nothing to do with fondant sweating or the whipped ganache filling. icon_razz.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:
Quote:

Mousse is hardly or never recommended as a filling

First I'm hearing of this. Here (NYC metro area) Mousse (both chocolate and fruit) is one of the most popular cake fillings for wedding cakes and others. Almost all of my tiered cakes have at least one mousse layer, and I only work in fondant... I've never had a problem with the weight of the fondant.

[/quote]

Colette Peters even said it .. she tries to discourage people from mousse if that cake will sit on that table for 5 hours b4 cutting. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%