Buttercream Icing With Cream Cheese?

Decorating By Mami_Mom Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 5:54am by AmyGonzalez

Mami_Mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mami_Mom Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 11

Does Buttercream icing with cream cheese hold up as well as the original recipe of just butter or shortening and powdered sugar for making decorations?
Is it easy to make?

10 replies
LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 11

I add cream cheese to my buttercream often and have never had any problem decorating with it.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 11

I love to add cream cheese to my buttercream.
I usually do Italian meringue and just add some cream cheese in place of some of the butter. Works great for me!
I have done it in plain buttercream too, and it worked very well. Cut the sweetness and added flavor I really liked.

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 11

How well would this BC w/ cream cheese work under fondant? If you cover the cake with it one day and serve the next.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:20am
post #5 of 11

What is the recipe for the cream cheese buttercream? I would really like to try it, sounds good.

Mami_Mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mami_Mom Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 11

AmyGonzales...there is recipe here in the recipe section under frosting and down to cream cheese frosting
I don't know if I copied it right but here is the link..I think LoL

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-819-140-Cream-Cheese-Frosting-I.html

tmassey5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmassey5 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:11am
post #7 of 11

I really like adding the cream cheese to my BC also. It is a great flavor and works well to ice with. I have used on wedding cakes many times to get the cream cheese flavor and not sacrifice the smoothness. Many customers ask for me to do this on chocolate and strawberry cakes.
I didn't even know there was a certain recipe together icon_redface.gif
I just add a block of cream cheese and a little more sugar to stiffen the icing back up!

AmyGonzalez Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:12am
post #8 of 11

Thanks Mami_Mom, I'm definitly going to try this. I never knew you could use cream cheese in BC. icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif It sounds really good, and I am so psyched that it doesn't alter the decorating consistensy. Thanks tmassey5

AmyGonzalez Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:54am
post #9 of 11

Well, I tried cream cheese in my buttercream for the first time today, and the taste was great, icon_smile.gif but the consistency was not that good for me. icon_sad.gif It was a bit loose. I did add a bit more sugar to it, but it was still a bit loose for me. Do you all use shorting in your buttercream? I did. I wonder if that had something to do with the consistency? icon_confused.gif Taste wise I loved it, I made it with a lemon cake with lemon filling.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:00am
post #10 of 11

I've done a crusting cream cheese buttercream twice, once regular and once with added cocoa powder to make a chocolate cream cheese buttercream. They were both wonderful flavor wise. I didn't do too much decorating just simple borders, but they crusted just fine. This is the recipe I used:

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1-8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp. vanilla
2 lb. powdered sugar

Got this recipe from CC, but don't remember the poster's name...Sorry! icon_redface.gif

AmyGonzalez Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:54am
post #11 of 11

Thanks for sharing your recipe! icon_smile.gif
I used the same ingredients except for the extra lb of sugar. The one I made today crusted too. I'll have to try it again using yours. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%