Hair Wisps On Cake

Decorating By lutie Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 1:47pm by 7yyrt

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, I tried to get help from another topic, but apparently my subject line was not attractive enough to get responses.

Out of what do you suggest I make wisps of hair for a Yoda Cake I am making? I need to do this before Wednesday night (here in USA on the East Coast) I have exhausted my brain trying to think of something edible. Please help!

10 replies
gleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gleep Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 11

I just did a Yoda cake and I didn't put any wisps of hair on him. My daughter was very pleased about the way he turned out. If you really want to do wisps of hair, I would cook sugar until it reaches soft crack, dip a fork in the mixture (careful it will be scalding hot) and move the fork back and forth over a suspended dowel. This makes super fine strands.

You can see my Yoda here if you want.
http://cakesbycarla.com/Photogallery/yodasaber.jpg

lutie Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 11

That is so adorable! You did a great job! Did you use cake for his head? I was planning on making the head with Rice Krispies. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas.

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 11

How about using cotton candy? You can buy it in the small packs and pull it apart. That would look like Yoda's hair. HTH

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 11

In my photos I did a Linus cake and used wire. i don't know if it would work as well for yoda but its a thought.

gleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gleep Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

That is so adorable! You did a great job! Did you use cake for his head? I was planning on making the head with Rice Krispies. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas.

I used RKT for the head. I could have used cake but with the Darth Vader that went with him, we were going to have way more cake than we needed so both of their heads were RKT. The other benefit to the RKT is I could make them a few days before the cakes. It made the final assembly and decoration much easier and less stressful!

lutie Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #7 of 11

I think I will take your experience as advice and make the heads out of Krispies! Did you put your rice krispies in the blender first?

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 11

I let my base layer of BC firm (or, his head), and then I added BC hair with a small round tip, one at a time - so I'd like to hear a better way of doing it too! This was my first attempt, so hopefully he'll turn out better next time! I know I'll make his staff out of fondant instead of a wooden skewer, and I used the stand-up Winnie the Pooh pan to bake, & I'll carve the face a bit more next time. His cheeks are a little "hangy"! ha ha! I also think he'd be fine without hair.
LL

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 11

my first thought was cotton candy as well

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:50am
post #10 of 11

I'd be concerned cotton candy would "melt"? I tried cotton candy once for smoke on a gingerbread house and within an hour, it absorbed moisture from the air and "melted" into a blob. I'm on the East coast too and the humidity has been very high lately.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 11

I know this is too late; for next time you might try Thai rice noodles. They are a translucent white, thin and round like spaghetti. (There is a flat kind, too.)
http://www.21food.com/userImages/noodlemachine/noodlemachine$27175814.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%