Powder Sugar And Colored Fondant

Decorating By bsanders12 Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm by sugarshack

bsanders12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsanders12 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 12

Whenever I roll out fondant that is not white, with powdered sugar, the sugar gets stuck to the fondant. This makes my color, look like it has white blotches all over it. I tried to brush it off, but it still leaves a white residue. Any Comments or help would be appreciated! icon_cry.gif

11 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 12

When I am covering a cake with fondant I roll it out on crisco instread of powder sugar or cornstrach.

Mami_Mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mami_Mom Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 12

I was watching Ace of Cakes and they said when they have that problem they mist the fondant with water & vodka to get rid of extra powdered sugar. They add vodka so that it will dry faster!
Hope that helps!

bsanders12 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 12

thank you! it all really helps!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 12

Ditto TexasSugar. I never roll fondant on PS or cornstarch. Dries it out too much!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 12

I am the same way...I roll my fondant out on a lightly crisco'd mat. I think the cornstarch dries it out.

BUT I do use cornstarch on my decorations for easier cutting, and I also like to airbrush my finished work with straight vodka (I don't use any water...) It seems to brighten and uniform the colors and it also helps make the decorations stick a little better.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 12

I only roll mine on crisco, a very light coating on my pastry mat.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 12

loriemoms, can you taste the alcohol flavor when you eat the fondant on a piece of cake? icon_confused.gif Or does the flavor just evaporate?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

loriemoms, can you taste the alcohol flavor when you eat the fondant on a piece of cake? icon_confused.gif Or does the flavor just evaporate?

Nope, it completly goes away. You don't use a lot. Its not any different from using vodka to glue items to your cake or extracts to make your paints.

bsanders12 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 12

You guys have been awesome, I guess I will never have to bother with extra PS or cornstarch again! Thank you so much!

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 12

Can you use the non stick spray ????

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 12

rub down with shortening

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%