How Do You Make Perfectly Smooth Dots?

Decorating By photocookiediva Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 12:03am by photocookiediva

photocookiediva Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 17

I always tend to get a point when trying to create smooth circles or dot with buttercream. What is the trick? What type of tip should I use? icon_smile.gif

16 replies
KathysCC Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 17

Points are inevitable. Just dip your finger in cornstarch and push it down a little. Sometimes it helps to wait 5 or ten minutes and then push down all the points.

I used to think that people could pipe perfect pointless dots but if it can be done, I certainly don't know how to do it. I always keep a little bowl of cornstarch handy when doing any icing work. You can push buttercream around a bit with a cornstarched finger. icon_biggrin.gif

srodts Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 17

The one time I did the dots I put the cake in the freezer for a few hours then took it out and with a gloved hand smoothed the point out. Hope this helps

leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 17

If you don't want to cut them out of fondant, then after you pipe them go back with a damp finger and pat the point down.

arosstx Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 17

You all use Viva paper towels to smooth your cakes, right???

Tear off a piece of viva, wrap it around your pointing finger, and go to town! I hate pointy dots! icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 17

When you finish piping your smooth circle or dot, stop squeezing completely and bring your tip off of the icing laterally with a little "c" motion. The tip will then shave off any point that wants to form - but you must stop squeezing first or you will just have a sideways pointing peak of icing.

If you learn how to do it correctly, it becomes a habit, and you'll never have to go back and go over your work, so practice, practice, practice. icon_smile.gif

Hmmm, maybe my claim to 15 minutes of fame will be a YouTube video on piping perfectly pointless (erm, point-FREE) dots. icon_wink.gif

Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 17

Cakepro, I would watch that video. But in the meantime, I go back with a damp paintbrush and smooth the points down.

loriemoms Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 17

I am a cornstarch and finger kind of gal myself.

(I took a clean, from the box kneehigh with the naked toe, filled it with about a cup of cornstarch, twisted it, and doubled it over (so you have two layers of stocking and knocked it. I have a couple in the bakery for fondant, gum paste and dipping my finger, and I keep one in my emergency kit incase I have to do a fondant repair work)

Cornstarch is the bakers friend.

Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

Cakepro, I would watch that video. But in the meantime, I go back with a damp paintbrush and smooth the points down.

Hey Bettycrockermommy! I noticed your countdown to meeting Aine2. What classes are you signed up to take? I'm in the Bride & Groom class. I am SO EXCITED!! Hope to meet ya! icon_biggrin.gif

~ Sherri

Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 17

Awesome cakepro.......so I guess I don't need the video because I will be there to learn in person!! I am also in the bride and groom class!! Can't wait to meet you

Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 17

Haha, I will bring a bag of buttercream just to show ya!

Can't wait to meet ya too!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 17

Cool!! I can't wait! Should we start another thread to see who all is going to be there?

loriemoms Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 17

I am SO jealous!!!! I want to take that bride and groom class so badly!! You gotta let us know how it goes!

Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

Cool!! I can't wait! Should we start another thread to see who all is going to be there?

Yes, do!! I'm excited to see who all will be there with us!

mcdonald Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #15 of 17

where is the class at?? Is it too late to sign up?? I love her work so much and would love to take that class!!!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #16 of 17

unfortunately the bride and groom class is full, but I saw today that there are openings in the first two classes

photocookiediva Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:03am
post #17 of 17

Wow! This was my first post and you guys are so awesome!! In less than 5 hours, 15 posts!!

Thanks again. I will start out with the cornstarch approach and then go to the paintbrush and so on.

Thanks ladies, that really helps!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%