So Many Questions! Help Please!

Decorating By alicialee Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm by DianeLM

alicialee Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 8

okay so im a "newbie-ish" and have a couple of questions.... im taking the big leap and doing my first wedding cake in august. the cake will be 4 tiers 6" 9" 12" 15", pink, white, and yellow.

1) ive used mmf ALOT, and i absolutely HATE making it, its a mess and take too much time. I just read a post about Satin Ice fondant. Is it worth spending the money on it to cover the cake?? and im wondering about the pink color, is it a hot pink? or a pastel pink???

2)This is my first time using cake dummies, any advice for me? do i ice them with buttercream first before i cover it in fondant? or can i use something thats cheaper and less of a mess??

3) ALSO how far in advance can i make the cake dummies??

4) (last one i swear) i have to make sheet cakes along with the wedding cake. my bigest sheet pan that i have is 11x15. so do i make 2 of them?? and how many will that serve??

Thank you all so much.... im a little nervous/excited/lost on this. I'm sure all of you remember your FIRST big cake, its a little intimidating.... icon_eek.gif

7 replies
JoAnnB Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 8

Satin ice is good product. The pink is not too bright. You could blend it with white if it was too much pink.

You can mist the dummy so the fondant sticks to it. A tiny bit of water, piping gel, or even corn syrup will help. Just don't get it too wet.
You will also want to soften the corners of the dummies. They can cut the fondant.

You can start the dummies any time. but protect the fondant from light. Pink can fade.

11x15 two-layer cake cut in 2x2 pieces will serve 35-40 depending on who cuts the cake.

LittleLinda Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:18am
post #3 of 8

I can't help you with 1, 2,and 3; but an 11x15 single layer sheet cake feeds 28 if cut 7 down and 4 across.
30 if cut 6 down and 5 across.
35 if cut 7 down and 5 across.

If you are charging per serving, call it 28 servings.

LittleLinda Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:20am
post #4 of 8

I can't help you with 1, 2,and 3; but an 11x15 single layer sheet cake feeds 28 if cut 7 down and 4 across.
30 if cut 6 down and 5 across.
35 if cut 7 down and 5 across.

If you are charging per serving, call it 28 servings.

DianeLM Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 8

I love the Satin Ice colored fondants. The pink is pretty deep and bold. If you look at the T-Rex pic in my gallery, that's 50/50 pink mixed with white.

For the dummies, I just brush on some watered down piping gel to help the fondant stick. As JoAnn suggested, you'll need to round the top edges of the dummy. Just roll over it with a rolling pin or use a piece of white sparkly styrofoam to 'shave' down the edge.

Because pink has a tendency to fade and change, I'd cover the dummies as close to the same time as the other cakes as possible. And, as JoAnn said, keep the dummies out of light.

As for the 11x15... I would estimate closer to 60 servings since this is a wedding. This is two-layer, of course. Bless your heart, JoAnn... by golly, a 2x2x4 piece of cake could feed a family of four! LOL

alicialee Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 8

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! you have no idea how much this helps... i feel soo much more confident now!!! i tell ya what... i wouldnt be where i am today if you all weren't here!!!

alicialee Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 8

i have a new question.....

how much satin ice fondant should i buy to cover 15", 12", 9" and 6"

i guess it comes in a 5lb bucket??

the cake has very little fondant/gumpast decorations on it... mostly RI scrollwork..... so how much fondant should i buy to cover the cake??

DianeLM Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 8

I'd say MINIMUM 12 pounds of fondant - 15 to be on the safe side.

Satin Ice is sold in several different quantities. Check Global Sugar Art. They have the best prices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%