Please Help! No Buttercream, Edible Photos

Decorating By tuffstuff Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 5:11pm by murf

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 3

I have a request for a cake to have edible photos on it but she doesn't want buttercream.
I was going to suggest whipped icing (like bettercream), white chocolate ganache as frosting (no idea if this will work at all even without the edible photos) or a crusting cream cheese frosting.
But I understand you can only use edible photos on buttercream. Is this correct?
What should I do?? I'm freaking out because all I've used so far is buttercream and fondant and have never used an edible photo! icon_surprised.gif

2 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 3

Well, Sam's, Kroger, and various other stores put edible images on whipped buttercream and Bettercreme all the time.

~ Sherri

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 3

Hi,
Here in the UK we very rarely use buttercream as a cake covering - apart from a crumb coat. So all of my edible images have been done onto fondant. All I've done is to put a thin amount of sugarpaste glue around the edges of the area that the image will be and then place it on top of the fondant. Never had a problem with them but I know some people suggest that you place the image in the freezer for a couple of minutes before putting it on the cake.
HTH
Jenny

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%