Cake Extender Mixes Vs Doctored Mixes

Decorating By danijus Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 3:33pm by danijus

danijus Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 16

I always use the doctored mixes with the pudding and sour cream. I notice the extender mixes don't use sour cream. What does the sour cream do anyway. Does the extender mix taste better? Please help.

15 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 16

Sour cream gives the cakes a finer crumb, and makes them more moist. Buttermilk or yogurt will have a similar effect, it has something to do with the enzymes in the dairy products.

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 16

The extender recipe I was using has sour cream in it. ???

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-Cake-Mix-extender.html

The scratch I now use has buttermilk.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4313-Vanilla-Butter-Cake-from-The-Mermaid-Bakery.html

Guess that's why I love them both!

danijus Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 16

But do the extender cakes taste any different than the regular doctored ones?

dolfin Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 16

I used the extender mix with sour cream and my nephew who does not like chocolate cake ate all the scraps I had left over after leveling the cake. He even asked for a piece with out icing.

All my family and clients love the cakes with the extender mix and I rarely have left over cake. So yes they taste diffrent, a whole lot better!! More moist and denser.

malishka Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 16

please don't think i'm stupid, but what the heck is an extender??? I keep on hearing about it on the CC, but have no clue to what it is.
I bake all my cakes from a box mix. Because I work with a kosher clientel, my cakes cannot have anything dairy in them. So is an extender dairy?

The only way I can get my cakes moist is by brushing them with sugared water. Does anyone else have any other ideas for non dairy cakes?

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijus

I thought extender and doctored were the same thing.

They'll taste different if they have different ingredients. icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

I bake all my cakes from a box mix. Because I work with a kosher clientel, my cakes cannot have anything dairy in them. So is an extender dairy?

I've only heard of extenders using either a pudding packet or sour cream, and I don't know if pudding has gelatin in it or not.

malishka Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 16

Thanx Michelle
So from my understanding, the definition of an extender in a cake is anything extra you put into a cake mix to doctor it up.
Am I correct?

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 16

well, that's my definition of it. LOL! Of course it also gives you more batter, hence the extender, but I used them mainly to make a better batter, more dense, etc.

malishka Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you Michelle
I swear without the CC I would be clueless.
I do use the recipe on the side of the chocolate Dunken Hinez box. It calls for pudding and the cake turns out denser than usual. It tastes really good too. I don't have to worry about stacking it because it holds up really well.
My kids are usually my taste testers. I give them the shaved tops of the cakes. If they like it, it's a go.

Cynita Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 16

yeah, I tought extender and doctored were the same. I use sour cream and pudding in my box mix. Gives it a much better taste and more batter.

danijus Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #13 of 16

The doctored ones I've seen use instant pudding and sour cream. Most of the extenders I see have flour, vanilla, and some other things. Thats why I thought they may taste different.

smoore Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:36am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijus

I thought extender and doctored were the same thing.

They'll taste different if they have different ingredients. icon_smile.gif

I think the extenders usually yeild more batter than what the original mix would have yeilded. The extender I use adds additional flour and sugar giving me a bit more batter when I'm done mixing ... the doctored recipies I use don't give me any more batter than what the box recipe would have turned out. All of my recipies have sour cream in them, so I don't think dairy makes a difference. There is a big taste difference if you are doctoring a cake mix (say white) or extending it -- especially if you are using flavored pudding mixes or creamers.

lakaty Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #15 of 16

I've always 'doctored' by adding a pckg of pudding and an extra egg. But I love what the sour cream does to a cake. How much do you use when just adding the pckg of pudding and sour cream??

TIA icon_smile.gif

danijus Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:33pm
post #16 of 16

Are you asking how much sour cream? If so, all doctored recipes I've seen call for 8 ounces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%