Cake Extender Mixes Vs Doctored Mixes

Decorating By danijus Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 3:33pm by danijus

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 16

I always use the doctored mixes with the pudding and sour cream. I notice the extender mixes don't use sour cream. What does the sour cream do anyway. Does the extender mix taste better? Please help.

15 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 16

Sour cream gives the cakes a finer crumb, and makes them more moist. Buttermilk or yogurt will have a similar effect, it has something to do with the enzymes in the dairy products.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 16

The extender recipe I was using has sour cream in it. ???

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-Cake-Mix-extender.html

The scratch I now use has buttermilk.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4313-Vanilla-Butter-Cake-from-The-Mermaid-Bakery.html

Guess that's why I love them both!

danijus Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 16

But do the extender cakes taste any different than the regular doctored ones?

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 16

I used the extender mix with sour cream and my nephew who does not like chocolate cake ate all the scraps I had left over after leveling the cake. He even asked for a piece with out icing.

All my family and clients love the cakes with the extender mix and I rarely have left over cake. So yes they taste diffrent, a whole lot better!! More moist and denser.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 16

please don't think i'm stupid, but what the heck is an extender??? I keep on hearing about it on the CC, but have no clue to what it is.
I bake all my cakes from a box mix. Because I work with a kosher clientel, my cakes cannot have anything dairy in them. So is an extender dairy?

The only way I can get my cakes moist is by brushing them with sugared water. Does anyone else have any other ideas for non dairy cakes?

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijus

I thought extender and doctored were the same thing.

They'll taste different if they have different ingredients. icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

I bake all my cakes from a box mix. Because I work with a kosher clientel, my cakes cannot have anything dairy in them. So is an extender dairy?

I've only heard of extenders using either a pudding packet or sour cream, and I don't know if pudding has gelatin in it or not.

malishka Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 16

Thanx Michelle
So from my understanding, the definition of an extender in a cake is anything extra you put into a cake mix to doctor it up.
Am I correct?

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 16

well, that's my definition of it. LOL! Of course it also gives you more batter, hence the extender, but I used them mainly to make a better batter, more dense, etc.

malishka Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you Michelle
I swear without the CC I would be clueless.
I do use the recipe on the side of the chocolate Dunken Hinez box. It calls for pudding and the cake turns out denser than usual. It tastes really good too. I don't have to worry about stacking it because it holds up really well.
My kids are usually my taste testers. I give them the shaved tops of the cakes. If they like it, it's a go.

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 16

yeah, I tought extender and doctored were the same. I use sour cream and pudding in my box mix. Gives it a much better taste and more batter.

danijus Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #13 of 16

The doctored ones I've seen use instant pudding and sour cream. Most of the extenders I see have flour, vanilla, and some other things. Thats why I thought they may taste different.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:36am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijus

I thought extender and doctored were the same thing.

They'll taste different if they have different ingredients. icon_smile.gif

I think the extenders usually yeild more batter than what the original mix would have yeilded. The extender I use adds additional flour and sugar giving me a bit more batter when I'm done mixing ... the doctored recipies I use don't give me any more batter than what the box recipe would have turned out. All of my recipies have sour cream in them, so I don't think dairy makes a difference. There is a big taste difference if you are doctoring a cake mix (say white) or extending it -- especially if you are using flavored pudding mixes or creamers.

lakaty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakaty Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #15 of 16

I've always 'doctored' by adding a pckg of pudding and an extra egg. But I love what the sour cream does to a cake. How much do you use when just adding the pckg of pudding and sour cream??

TIA icon_smile.gif

danijus Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:33pm
post #16 of 16

Are you asking how much sour cream? If so, all doctored recipes I've seen call for 8 ounces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%