Sugarshack's Icing Won't Take Color!!!

Decorating By kjt Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm by kjt

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:31am
post #1 of 17

I made sugarshack's icing, and it is separating...or SOMETHING icon_confused.gif I've used an entire container of Wilton's color on about 1 cup if icing. The icing looks (and kinda feels) grainy, and whitish-I can see the shortening.
HELP!

16 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 17

I haven't tried her recipe yet but I did make some icing the weekend and that EXACT same thing happened!!! I was sooo mad! I added a little more powdered sugar and that helped some. Did you use crisco?

kjt Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 17

No, I used the store brand...2.5 gms trans fat. I just don't know. On the up side tho, it seems to smooth like magic!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 17

I've used Sugar Shack's recipe that last 2 times and had no problems at all. I didn't use hi-ratio though, just Crisco.

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 17

Maybe the shortening or powdered sugar was bad.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 17

mmmmm... never had this happen before. I only use her icing. I do use HR shortening but have used crisco before. I will say that her icing has never bled colors on me... like dark colors being piped onto white ones... always stays the right way. I hope you will try it again, you will love it!

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 17

I've never had problems with her icing either. It takes color great for me and doesn't bleed, like SugarBakerz stated. I also used Crisco with no trans-fat.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 17

I use sugarshack's recipe all of the time (with hi-ratio shortening) and never have had any problems with it taking colors. I wonder what happened? Good luck!

kjt Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 17

thank you all...I will certainly try her icing again icon_smile.gif
BTW, what flavorings do y'all like with this icing?

becklynn Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 17

The only one I've ever tried is the Wedding Bouquet. It's De-Lish!

kjt Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 17

Do you know how (if) the Wedding Bouquet tastes different than Creme Bouquet (which I LOVE)?
This particular customer wanted just "butter" buttercream. I use the CK flavors, and it (Sugarshack's icing) tasted pretty good with just the butter flavor, altho I'm not a fan of the taste of any icing really icon_sad.gif

becklynn Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 17

I actually just bought some Creme Bouquet, but I haven't tried it yet. It smells more like lemon to me.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:41pm
post #13 of 17

creme boquet tastes more like lemon too! bought two bottles a year ago before i realized this and now the only time i feel it's okay to use it is when i have a citrusy type cake. not what i would use on everyday cakes, especially chocolate. to each his own i guess.

as for the icing not taking color and seperating...i too use sharon's recipe. however, when i use high-ratio shortening everything seems to work perfectly. but, when i mix half high-ratio to half crisco or even do all crisco, i get the problem with coloring coming out right. it either looks separated as you stated above or it is both seperated and grainy.

i have thrown out two seperate recipes of icing since using her recipe. both were due to being very grainy, almost like that funky looking modeling clay that kids use these days (the kind that looks like styrofoam balls - what is it called...floam?)

the first time this happened i had mixed accordingly and it looked really pretty but it seemed to be too thick so i dipped back into my hot water/creamer mixture and added another TBS or two into the icing and continued mixing. it was at that point that the texture of the icing got really grainy looking. after i tossed the icing in the garbage (all 5 cups of shortening and almost 3 whole bags of powdered sugar wasted), i tried a new batch and went for the hot water/creamer mixture again and noticed it had grease "balls" or clumps stuck all around the inside of the glass measuring cup i mixed it in. i deduced that it must have been the fact that the mixture wasn't still at near-boiling temp when i added it to my icing and therefore caused the oil in it to clump up. well, at least that is what i figured it had to be.

so, i poured the mixture out and used straight water and flavoring - no creamer this time - and it turned out perfect. now i don't use the creamer.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 17

Thank you for the info!! I just finished watching one of her videos and I'm ready to try this out! I will try it with and without the creamer (but will make sure it is hot!)

kjt Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fytar

so, i poured the mixture out and used straight water and flavoring - no creamer this time - and it turned out perfect. now i don't use the creamer.

Okay, let me get this straight...you're using shortening, powdered sugar and HOT water, then adding flavor-what flavors are you using ?

Thanks so much for the info on her icing-I really like the ease when smoothing, (air pockets in buttercream will probably be the death of me icon_mad.gif ) but to me it does seem slightly grainy, and has a greasy texture to the taste. What's your opinion to the taste? How is it received by your customers?

Also do you happen to know the shelf life of sugarshack icing? I would like to make up a huge batch and store it...I can pm her- if I do, I'll let y'all know her answer.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:14am
post #16 of 17

because i haven't yet ordered any of the wedding bouqet i use vanilla and almond. i only use half of what her recipe calls for. where the recipe calls for 11-12 TBS of the liquid creamer mixture, I use 12 TBS of just hot water and then only 2 TBS of flavoring - usually all Almond, but sometimes I'll do 1 1/2 almond and 1/2 vanilla - this is just because i don't personally like too much almond flavor and the clear vanilla doesn't quite make me that happy either...

my customers like the new recipe as do i. i usually use a little over 2 and a half bags of powdered suger (2lb bags).

i do love the recipe when i get it right because it is so smooth. but i've found that when i only need half of the icing for coloring, i always end up stirring air bubbles into it while mixing the color. if i could use the whole recipe in one color that would be great because i'd just add it when i'm creaming the shortening and liquids together...but i rarely have a cake large enough to use a whole recipe.

as for shelf life, it seems to start smelling a little "off" about 5 or 6 days in (that's at room temp). about 2 weeks in the fridge.

kjt Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #17 of 17

Well, I did pm Sharon, and good news if you want to make up a big batch...she said shelf life is "weeks on the counter top, indefinitely in fridge or freezer".
So, I'm off in search of Sweetex icon_smile.gif
I'll try one batch to start with, and hope it lasts without, as you say fytar, smelling "off".
Happy Fourth of July to you all.
Kathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%