Please Help A Newbie -- Training? School? Advice?

Decorating By peanut100 Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 4:52pm by ncdessertdiva

peanut100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut100 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:01am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone --

I am VERY new to the wonderful world of cake decorating and I've fallen in LOVE with it.

Here's the story: I've always had a casual interest in the culinary world; Food Network junkie, have watched all the cake challenges, everything...I ended up having my first up close glimpse of cake making while ordering my engagement party cake from a VERY talented local cake artist in my hometown...fast forward to a few months later...I'm on here, and ordering gum paste & fondant lol!!

I've actually worked a few days (I think 3 or 4 on a volunteer basis) in the bakery that made my cake and I LOVE it!! Now here's my question: what do I do next?

Culinary school is really not an option...I'm getting married soon & I don't want to pay 30k for school.

So how do I turn this into a paying gig? I plan to intern hopefully for as long as I can with the baker I mentioned earlier.

I have been struggling in the corporate world for the last 5 years or so, and I am DYING to get out (I've always been the creative//crafty person stuck in an office worker's body ugh!)...So any advice on how to get myself going in the industry would be really helpful. I've ordered a ton of supplies & plan to practice a lot at home. Just finding this site has been a wonderful resource. I even made my first WASC cake on Sunday !!! icon_smile.gif

Thank you all in advance, I really would love everyone's advice.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 5

read the thread linked below, then go into the archives and articles and read through there.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5994894.html#5994894

Theresa icon_smile.gif

peanut100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut100 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 5

thanks for linking that message, i really appreciate it!!

i've been scouring the forum, this is such a great resource!! thanks again!!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 5

Dont read the topic "was it always like this?"

icon_smile.gif

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 5

Have you checked with your local community colleges on culinary classes/courses? I will be attending school this fall in a culinary program at my local community college. You can also check for additional cake decorating courses though their continuing education classes. Just a thought!
Leslie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%