Indydebi's Bc!?

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 5:08am by indydebi

JaneDee Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:45am
post #1 of 8

I have a large batch of Indydebi's Crisco-Based BC colored RED so I didn't want to have to start all over but I tried to make a rose and it was way too thin... I know this recipe works great because I've made roses with it before but I was wondering which I should add to make it stiffer...
Crisco, dream whip, or powdered sugar??

Thank you!!

7 replies
JaneDee Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #2 of 8

I know it says in her description that if it's too thin to add more sugar but since all of my icing recipes use the 2lb bags I was wondering if I could advoid opening another 2lb bag just to use a little bit of it... What would happen if I added more dream whip or crisco??

Thank you so much to whoever can help me out.

Staceface81 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:07am
post #3 of 8

Just add more powdered sugar........a little at a time until you get the right consistency. Adding more crisco would only make it softer...........and icky tasting. icon_smile.gif

BCJean Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 8

You might try putting the icing in the refrigerator for a little while, then make the rose. Getting buttercream cool really stiffens it up. I used to work with a girl who went in the walk in freezer each time she made a rose. lol.....not a recommended practice. Once the rose is formed and comes to room temp. it should hold up.

Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #5 of 8

Debi's recipe is alot like mine except I use merangue powder instead of dream whip. I would think that more shortning would just give your frosting too much of that greasy taste. Not sure what dream whip would do, but I almost always have a bag of powdered sugar that's open and is for adding to my frosting or my fondant. I would suggest to open a bag and use powdered sugar to stiffenit up.

JaneDee Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #6 of 8

Okay, I will open a bag and use it for adding to thin icing.

Thank you for all the tips. =)

I almost added more crisco but I ran back in here to check before I did and glad I read that post. icon_smile.gif

janebrophy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:18am
post #7 of 8

I use very little PS in my BC, and I just make sure to use the icing while it's cold. The flowers and decorations do hold up when they get back up to temp.

indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:08am
post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by janebrophy

I use very little PS in my BC

what is the main ingredient in your icing, if it's not sugar?

To the OP, yes, add more sugar if it's too thin. I never refrigerate this icing ... any leftover is in a sealed container on my shelves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%