Indydebi's Bc!?

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 5:08am by indydebi

JaneDee  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneDee Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:45am
post #1 of 8

I have a large batch of Indydebi's Crisco-Based BC colored RED so I didn't want to have to start all over but I tried to make a rose and it was way too thin... I know this recipe works great because I've made roses with it before but I was wondering which I should add to make it stiffer...
Crisco, dream whip, or powdered sugar??

Thank you!!

7 replies
JaneDee Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #2 of 8

I know it says in her description that if it's too thin to add more sugar but since all of my icing recipes use the 2lb bags I was wondering if I could advoid opening another 2lb bag just to use a little bit of it... What would happen if I added more dream whip or crisco??

Thank you so much to whoever can help me out.

Staceface81  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:07am
post #3 of 8

Just add more powdered sugar........a little at a time until you get the right consistency. Adding more crisco would only make it softer...........and icky tasting. icon_smile.gif

BCJean  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 8

You might try putting the icing in the refrigerator for a little while, then make the rose. Getting buttercream cool really stiffens it up. I used to work with a girl who went in the walk in freezer each time she made a rose. lol.....not a recommended practice. Once the rose is formed and comes to room temp. it should hold up.

Crazy-4-Cakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #5 of 8

Debi's recipe is alot like mine except I use merangue powder instead of dream whip. I would think that more shortning would just give your frosting too much of that greasy taste. Not sure what dream whip would do, but I almost always have a bag of powdered sugar that's open and is for adding to my frosting or my fondant. I would suggest to open a bag and use powdered sugar to stiffenit up.

JaneDee Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #6 of 8

Okay, I will open a bag and use it for adding to thin icing.

Thank you for all the tips. =)

I almost added more crisco but I ran back in here to check before I did and glad I read that post. icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

janebrophy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:18am
post #7 of 8

I use very little PS in my BC, and I just make sure to use the icing while it's cold. The flowers and decorations do hold up when they get back up to temp.

indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:08am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

I use very little PS in my BC

what is the main ingredient in your icing, if it's not sugar?

To the OP, yes, add more sugar if it's too thin. I never refrigerate this icing ... any leftover is in a sealed container on my shelves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%