High Density Foam Roller

Decorating By mwalls Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 5:27am by AmyGonzalez

mwalls Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:22am
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to get my iced cakes absolutely smooth. On the home page of this site, there is an interesting recommendation and that is to use a High Density Foam Roller on the icing. My trouble is that I cannot locate a store that sells them. Does anyone here use them and where can I go to buy them?

Thank you for your advice.
Matt

15 replies
becklynn Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:27am
post #2 of 16

I bought mine in Lowes by the paint rollers. I'm sure any hardware store or even WalMart would have them.
You might also try sugarshack's "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" DVD. She has some great techniques for getting your cakes smooth! Well worth the investment!
sugaredproductions.com
Good luck!

Tellis12 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #3 of 16

I love mine and I also got mine at Lowes. It works wonders!

danijus Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 16

Home depot has them too. I would also think any paint or hardware store would have them also.

fondantgrl Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:38am
post #5 of 16

I got mine at Home Depot. It has a blue handle and the foam is white.

CristinaB Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:41am
post #6 of 16

I got mine in the paint section of Wal Mart. I love this method, it works great. I use the foam rollers all the time! Good luck!

edith123 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #7 of 16

I'm getting mine this weekend! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #8 of 16

Hi Matt! The foam rollers in my article are available at almost all home improvement and paint stores (yes, they'll look at you weird if you tell them what it's for! icon_lol.gif ) but I will caution you about buying them at Wal-Mart... usually the brand at Wal-Mart is Rubbermaid, and for some reason this brand does not always work as well. Not to disparage Rubbermaid, I love their products, but I found that I had trouble with them smearing and picking up the icing the one time I bought them. (How embarassed was I when all of a sudden I couldn't do the technique I was known for!! icon_redface.gif I was relieved when I figured out it was the refill heads I had purchased!) Anyway, I have heard all sorts of raves about SugarShacks DVD as well, so that is always an option, too. Tons of people swear by the Viva method, but the roller tends to be a lot faster. (I wouldn't dare say better, just faster, which can sometimes be very important!)

Whatever you choose, the best of luck to you, and if I can offer you any help with the Melvira Method, don't be shy. I love to help and see others succeed!!!

butterflywings Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #9 of 16

Melvira.. I had seen you mention once before cautioning against the walmart one. I've got that one, the blue rubbermaid handle and rubbermaid high density foam rollers. I wonder if maybe you somehow got a bad batch of rollers? I have not had any problems with it and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this technique! I get the smoothest finishes! You are my hero!!

(btw, saw the pics of you new little man.. SO FREAKIN' CUTE!!! You are truly blessed!)

Melvira Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:36am
post #10 of 16

I have wondered that too! I know some people use the Rubbermaid brand and don't have problems, but every time I have tried to use them, I've had problems, but if I switch the roller head with another brand it works perfectly! SO weird!! I don't mind the Rubbermaid handles, just the refill heads... the actual foam part. But, if they're working for others, that's awesome! Maybe I did just get a bad pack! icon_rolleyes.gif That's my luck!!

And thanks about the baby... he's so adorable! I'm just having so much fun with my boys!! thumbs_up.gif

superstar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm
post #11 of 16

I am a Melvira roller fan, it is a wonderful system. I want to buy Sharon's DVD re the BC, I have heard wonderful things about it, but at present I am using my roller & love it.

AmyGonzalez Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 16

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I absolutely love my high density roller!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I got mine at sutherlands. I was insanely desperate to find a way to make my icing smooth until I found melvira's method. Many thanks to her!!!!!!
It's like a wonder bra for cake! I makes the cake look F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!

superstar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:01am
post #13 of 16

Oh Amy, LOL I am trying to visualize that one.

Melvira Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:20am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyGonzalez

It's like a wonder bra for cake! I makes the cake look F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!

Oh man... now who's going to mop the floor? icon_lol.gif That was toooo cute! Really made my evening!

tracey1970 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:47am
post #15 of 16

This won't help most of you, but I bought a high-density foam roller in Ontario, Canada, at probably the best knows hardware store in Canada = Canadian Tire. Works great!

AmyGonzalez Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:27am
post #16 of 16

icon_smile.gif Glad I could make you guys smile! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%