On Tv? Are You Kidding Me?

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 6:56am by EnjoyTheCake

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 27

Ok, I just got thrown into this one girls and I need help! My sister has a friend who asked if I could be on their dessert segment âDesserts that hold up in the heatâ. She wanted cupcakes so I suggested fondantâ¦I also have to give a few tips on how the average person can decorate with it easily, etc.

Things that are flying thru my head are: fondant will hold up, but will the buttercream underneath? Should I use modeling chocolate instead? Would the average person even buy or make fondant?? What am I going to wear? lolâ¦

Orâ¦does the buttercream with less butter/more powdered sugar hold up well? How well? The buttercream I use is mostly butter so I am not familiar w/the other kind.

Any and all comments/suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated. Weâre taping Wednesday morningâ¦

HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!

26 replies
butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 27

1st- CONGRATS!!!

2nd - fondant will hold up.. but any bc with butter might not. i use indydebi's bc recipe with ALL crisco or hi-ratio shortening. Debi says it stood the 90* ++ outside wedding test, so it's probably your best bet. plus, its SUPER easy to make, and ANYONE can do it. whereas fondant might scare cake muggles. plus, bc is really easy to decorate with and can be dressed up easily with pretty sprinkles, sparkles, simple flowers, etc. if it were me, i'd go with bc, and i think any recipe using all crisco or hi-ratio shortening should hold up well.

i'd definitely go with quick and easy. you're not going to get a HUGE amount of airtime, so you want what you do to be easily explained, easily understood and simple to replicate.

GOOD LUCK and congrats!! You'll have to let us know when/where it's airing or post a link to the clip once it's done.

cakelady11215 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 27

it just scares me that i've never used it before (although you guys know more what you're talking about than i do!...)

yeah, i think i get 3 minutes (which is going to seem like 3 hours to me)

ok, i'll search for the recipe and try tonight.

thank you so much. think it's supposed to air monday (Fox 5 News). If it's not so horrible that they cut the whole thing I'll be sure to let ya'll know. icon_smile.gif

Hey - anyone ever on camera before?? Any tips on that? lol

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 27

I would also use Indydebi icing under the fondant. Be sure and make it quick and easy like butterflywings stated you will not have much time. Good luck and congrats to you

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 27

Congratulations for the spotlight!

filled with buttercream instead of iced, then dipped in thinned chocolate or candy melts and decoration added...flower, sprinkles, confetti, fruit(fresh, frosted currants, raspberries, dipped strawberries), gummy worms w/crushed oreos.....

the chocolate will set just a bit..but in the heat it will be ready to be bitten and the cupcake will have the nice surprise of the buttercream inside.

have some in various stages of completion with a small crock pot with the warmed dipping chocolate, a bag for the filling, a couple of ready made decorations and a stand ready for the display of cupcakes...

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 27

Maybe you could mention both the BC and fondant and let people know that they have a choice. MMF is pretty simple to make - just a little time-consuming. As for the BC underneath, you could use the recipe for High Humidity - http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html (I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard good things about it standing up to very high temps/humidity).

Also, for fondant, couldn't you just use piping gel or even an apricot jam underneath? I believe that would solve the problem of the melting BC altogether and you'd still be able to explain MMF.

Just another suggestion.

all4cake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 27

ooooooooooooh, I think I missed the whole point in the beginning...my fault, to be sure.

I got it now...

cakelady11215 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 27

thanks everyone, i am so thankful for the feedback.

for the bc recipes, they both call for dream whip. what are the chances people have this in their cabinets? i thought there's a better chance of having marshmallows.

sugar_plum_fairy - great idea w gel or preserves!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 27

Actually Dream Whip is readily available at the supermarket. I get mine at ShopRite - it's next to (underneath) the Jello and gelatines. HTH

As for what to wear....not to dressy, not too casual. Business casual?

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 27

really easy to find - you can mention Aisle 8 at Wal-mart above the jello/pudding LOL - but at least in the south, most people know it and use it.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 27

Are they doing your makeup? I did a little modeling a few years ago - don't ever wear grey or purple eye make up (you'll look like you have a shiner) and wear more blush and lipstick than you're used to. You'll feel like a clown, but the camera tones it down so much you'll end up looking normal.

Good luck! I've also heard that adding meringue or flour to BC helps it stand up in higher temps.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:27am
post #12 of 27

Here is a link to a fellow ccer who does a monthly tv spot on her local news. They're fabulous and you can watch them all on her my space page. http://www.ktka.com/videos/2008/jun/10/20176/

HTH Congratulations! And break a spatula! icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:36am
post #13 of 27

When you put buttercream under fondant on a cupcake, if the buttercream starts to melt, it just soaks down into the cupcake. Apricot preserves work too but it's best to heat them up and put them through a strainer first. It's not as tasty as buttercream under fondant either.

I think a lot of people would be interested in making or using fondant...it has the reputation of being hard to work with, so emphasize that it's really easy to roll out, cut and place circles for cupcakes, because there's not much smoothing involved. You can use a drinking glass to cut the circles, and a small cookie cutter to cut decorations for it, so the average person could do it without having to buy a lot of specialized tools...most people who would do any sort of baking at home already own a rolling pin.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 27

Wear clothes that are bright or rich in color...avoid pastels or neutrals because you could blend in too well. You could try asking what colors they might prefer you to wear, to make sure you're not washed away in the light.

If they're not doing your makeup (which I sincerely hope they do), try contacting places that do makeup and ask if they can do stage makeup. Your regular stuff will NOT hold up to the harsh lighting (which is why I hope they do yours).

And that's all I have, since you've gotten some GREAT advice regarding content. icon_wink.gif

cakelady11215 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:09pm
post #15 of 27

ok, not sure if this is going to work but i'm pasting the link to the segment. thanks to all for your help. and thank goodness for the editor!!

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=6926046&version=1&locale=EN-US[url][/url]

cakelady11215 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #16 of 27
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady11215

ok, not sure if this is going to work but i'm pasting the link to the segment. thanks to all for your help. and thank goodness for the editor!!

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=6926046&version=1&locale=EN-US[url][/url]

Yep, the editor did a fabulous job - can't see the video at all!! lol

Do you know the name of the segment? I wish I had known when it aired, I could've watched it. Hope it all went well.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:53am
post #18 of 27

your cupcakes looked really pretty! icon_smile.gif

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:54am
post #19 of 27

Congrats! You did a wonderful job and your cupcakes were beautiful!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:41am
post #20 of 27

Okay, there it is!! You look great! And so do your cupcakes! I like the textured roller you used! Well done!

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:52am
post #21 of 27

Congrats!!
Cupcakes look fabulous...love your little roller thumbs_up.gif

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:58am
post #22 of 27

Wow, you were so proffesional!! Have you been on TV before?

all4cake Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:05am
post #23 of 27

Great presentation. Did I miss it, or did you not get credit for the presentation?

"Here to help show us how this can be done is ....from ... ... ... bakery/sweets/cakery..." Something like that would've been a great boost to business, eh?

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:28am
post #24 of 27

first I would like to say congratulations!!! You looked beautiful!! And those cupcakes were gorgeous!! I noticed that the camera wasn't really focusing on you ( no CLoseup icon_surprised.gif ), but you still look good. I really think you looked fabulous. You did a really good job and you made me want to make cupcakes. I know it's kind of late, but for next time just relax and practice in the mirror. It helps with the nerves, if that is an issue, but with the way you worked it, I doubt that. A lot of people get really nervous around cameras and you did an outstanding job!!!! thumbs_up.gif

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:33am
post #25 of 27

You did a great job! Congrats!

cakelady11215 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:46pm
post #26 of 27

thanks so much everyone!! the whole team was super nice which should have made me less nervous but it made me more nervous because i wanted to prepare and practice beforehand and i wasn't sure what they were going to be asking me. anyway, i guess they knew that they could edit the heck out of it and make it look good...she did say it's all smoke and mirrors! icon_smile.gif thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:56am
post #27 of 27

The link works if you don't use the [url][/url] at the end of the link, it will run perfectly. Good job on the clip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%