Wanna See What Humidity Can Do To Gp?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm by sarahnichole975

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 16

I've mentioned many times before that gumpaste doesn't hold up in humid conditions. We've had high humidity for 5 days in a row (and 2 of those days also had sea fog) and no central AC... This is what I woke up to this morning. These callas were extras from a First Communion cake I made in April. Sad, huh?
LL

15 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 16

Wow, thank God that here on the Gulf Coast, we have central a/c and heat. I keep my house so chilly and dry that my gumpaste dries too fast.

I'm sorry for your loss. icon_sad.gif Perhaps a room de-humidifier would be in order.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 16

That's a sad site for sure.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 16

Oh, that is sad. icon_sad.gif Were they completely dry and then wilted like this? That is bad.

We have a lot of humidity but everyone in the south as AC - I couldn't live without it. I've been practicing with gumpaste roses recently and luckily, no wilting yet. Our downstairs (finished basement area) has a dehumidifier and if it gets back enough, my flowers will be stored down there.

So sorry this happened to you.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #5 of 16

That is why I bought the largest dehumidifier they had at Home Depot! It works like a charm, even during the hot and soupy summer days!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:28am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

That is why I bought the largest dehumidifier they had at Home Depot! It works like a charm, even during the hot and soupy summer days!

I just bought one too...not the largest because we only have 1000 square feet...anyhow, it makes a big difference in the comfort level in the house, and it makes working with fondant easier too...all for the bargain price of about $200 icon_lol.gif Since then I've seen people selling dehumidifiers on craigslist for about $50 so it seems like you could get a cheaper one if you were a little more patient than I was icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:44am
post #7 of 16

The callas had been dry since April.
Last year I bought a kitchen dehumidifier - now I just need to get DH to bring it in from the garage! He doesn't like to use it b/c the windows have to be kept closed or it's a losing battle. He thinks it gets too hot! This morning I can't see past my deck b/c of the fog... Hopefully it will burn off...

momnzoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momnzoes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #8 of 16

I was doing a Little Suzy's Zoo theme cake for a baby shower last month. I had all but 1 character completed ( there were about 10 figures and props, all GP/F blend) when the AC went out in our house. Panic City!

I packed everything up and sent them to stay at my MIL's until the crisis was averted but the last little guy, a bunny I was working on when the disaster struck, sagged so badly he just fell over. No time to rebuild him, so I propped him up on the finished cake, and don't you know, he was the one everyone loved best of all!

Humidity is a fact of life here in FL, and I remember watching a Food Network Challenge held here at Disnyworld. The chefs all b-----d during the whole show about the heat and humidity. Those of us watching here just laughed-- Welcome to Our World.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 16

I have actually had my gumpaste flowers melt into a puddle and have nothing but wires left, good thing they were just for practice.

With my macs cake this year, it rained so bad on sunday that my roses all wilted, but the callas that were made of a different gumpaste were still okay. Go figure, I will someday stumble upon a paste that won't do this so quickly.

beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 16

peg, i was there on that sunday and boy did it come down!! Sorry to hear about your roses!

I have heard Nic Lodge's gumpaste holds up well - have you tried it? Someday I will, but I'm lazy and would rather use premade fondant w/ tylose!! icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 16

OOooohhhhh, your calla lilies were made from fondant with tylose? I have noticed that things I make with Satin Ice/tylose are quite susceptible to humidity (even previously dried things), whereas my stuff made with Nick Lodge's GP recipe stay ultra rock-hard.

Seriously, making his GP recipe takes me about 15 minutes, from pulling out sugar/tylose/eggs to sticking the mixing bowl and beater paddle in the dishwasher. You will love it once you make it!! icon_biggrin.gif

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 16

wow. that's so sad. at least you don't need them right now! icon_surprised.gif

beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:34pm
post #13 of 16

Ya they were. I've tried the Wilton gp mix and also the Satin Ice and Pettinice GP and the fondant w/ tylose works best for me (for the most part).

Cakepro Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #14 of 16

You should airbrush them brown and use them on an Over The Hill cake. LOL

beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #15 of 16

HAHA!! Perfect!! icon_smile.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #16 of 16

GOTTA LOVE HUMIDITY!!! The best is taking a shower and walking outside and instantly being damp in all the non mentionable areas. YUCK! I'm in NOLA and I call it the armpit of the world. (Steamy, hot, and smelly....though I love the city itself). I have had bow loops perfectly hard and set up wilt terribly on the cake!!! UGH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%