Will It Be Fresh Enough?

Decorating By imakecakes Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 1:22pm by imakecakes

imakecakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 18

I have a friend who would like me to make a laptop computer cake for this saturday, but we are going away wednesday night until saturday night.

If I bake and make the cake on Wednesday, will it still taste good on Saturday night? I've never made one that far in advance before. (Darn good Choc cake with MMF keyboard keys. The computer screen will be MMF covered cardboard with a star trek theme set at a 90 degree angle on the cake)

If you think it's okay, what would be the best way for her to store it? Will it keep better in the fridge? I don't know how much room she can spare for all 3 days. HELP!

17 replies
imakecakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 18

can anyone help?

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 18

I would pass on it myself.

imakecakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 18

For those of you who make wedding cakes, have you made your cakes on Wednesday for a Saturday wedding?

Sarsi Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 18

I would say go for it. Just put it in a box and make sure you seal the box up good.... if its a cardboard box with an open top, tape some saran wrap on the top. Also, store it in a cool room....if they put it in the fridge it might sweat when it gets taken out...

imakecakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 18

Thank you for your thoughts! Anyone else have an idea?

imakecakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 18

Thank you for your thoughts! Anyone else have an idea?

akgirl10 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 18

I have found that cakes covered in fondant tend to stay fresh for quite some time. I think it would be fine.

Aliwis000 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 18

No idea but I will give you a bump. I know a lot of people freeze them and say they will keep for a long time, like when they do wedding cakes. I know there are some threads about that so i would start there! Hope that is some help!

CakeWhizz Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 18

There is a chocolate recipe on this site that keeps for up to ten days although chocolate cake generally keeps for up to seven days. Filled with buttercream or chocolate ganache and covered with fondant, it shoud be fine for Saturday if made on Wednesday. The idea about boxing it up is a good one and it can be stored in the fridge (on a low setting) or in a cool room. Hope this helps.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 18

If you use Satin Ice fondant, they advertise that it can be refrigerated or frozen once used to cover a cake. http://www.satinfinefoods.com/about.shtml (look down at the bottom of the list of advantages of using Satin Ice).

crisc23 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #12 of 18

It will be fine. Sugar is a preservative. As long as there is no filling that will spoil... cream cheese, etc. you will be just fine.

Store it in a nice cool room. Not the fridge. Keep it in a box to keep the dust off of it.

Easy peasy!

SugarBakerz Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 18

I have 2 people picking up cakes for Sunday on Thursday since we too wil be out on holiday. I use SugarShack icing and have found that it crusts so well that my cake is still fresh 4-5 days later. I don't do this often, but I do know it will be ok. As for the MMF, hopefully humidity isn't a factor for you, mine would never make it in heat. I don't use butter in my BC either so no need to put in the fridge on my end. HTH

leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #14 of 18

Ditto Chris. She's right on.

loriemoms Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #15 of 18

If the filling isn't perishable and you are using a box mix as your base, (they seem to stay moist longer) and covering with fondant, it will be fine. I have had a few wedding cakes where the decorating was so detailed, I had to fill and frost on a wednesday to sit overnight and then cover with fondant on thursday for a Saturday wedding. (or else I wouldnt have gotten all the decorating done) They were fine!

The longest I had to keep a cake was I went up to my moms for Mothers day on a wednesday..the cake was decorated on Tuesday afternoon. We didnt eat it till Sunday EVENING. It was covered with fondant. Not only was it a lot of days, but it had traveled in a car for 6 hours! Everyone still loved it. Fondant is a wonderful thing!

specialtdesserts Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:30am
post #16 of 18

Thank you everyone!! I'm gonna go get it in the oven right now. Have a happy 4th!

loriemoms Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:04pm
post #17 of 18

I do have a similiar question: I have to make 100 mini cakes (3 inch squares) that will be covered with fondant. Each one of them has to have a lot of decoration done to them...they are filled with buttercream. I figured it will take me two days to cover and decorate them. I have a lot of other cakes due the same week, so want to get these done and out of the way. Do you think they will still be fresh if I make them on Monday and Tuesday for a Saturday morning delivery? (I am thinking of making one ahead of time and checking it out after 5 days to see if it still fresh) Mini cakes I am sure dry out faster!

imakecakes Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:22pm
post #18 of 18

Just thought I'd put in the final results for those who may research the subject in the future....

The cake pros here were right! My friend said the cake was delicious--no problems at all! I made it Wednesday, she kept it in her fridge until Friday when she need the fridge space for other things and served on Saturday night.

I ended up doing it only in chocolate buttercream- with packing and getting ready for our trip, I ran out of time to make MMF. I made the monitor out of solid chocolate and gave her the cake part seperately. Then at her party, she propped the chocolate "screen" up against the keyboard for the laptop look. I think she used a large can behind it to prop it up. Hey, whatever works in a pinch....

Thank you for all your help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%