Thinking About Trying Wasc

Decorating By ArtieTs Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 12:46am by ArtieTs

ArtieTs Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 11

Hi All,

I am kinda new to CC & I have just a few posts under my belt & commented on some beautiful art work, but I have some questions well actually I need some feedback. I see that many of you guys use the WASC and forgive me for being slow but I just found out what that was & it sounds Delis icon_biggrin.gif as Rachel Ray would say. I want to try that this weekend. Can I get an idea of what I can expect texture & taste wise? I usally get requests for my standard vanilla chiffon cake , carrot cake, choc. chiffon or red velvet cake & I know I need to try some new things. I also found the extened version of that cake & not sure where to begin. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks CC fam thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 11

hi and welcome. i have never used it before but i generally see all rave reviews for it so i would suggest just going for it!

mom2leelee Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 11

I made my first WASC this weekend. Personally I didn't care much for it because it wasn't sweet enough for my taste. However I took the cake a a family get together and everyone LOVED it. I had people left and right asking me for the recipe. My SIL even called the next day to tell me how much she loved the cake..lol.

thecakebox Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:46am
post #4 of 11

I have made this a ton of times with several of the flavor variations and everyone loves this cake (I use the original recipe which calls for 1 cake mix) It freezes really well, and is great for stacking. If you like almond I would start from the basic recipe so you can get a feel for it texture-wise and go from there icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:55am
post #5 of 11

It's moist and not too dense, and the almond flavor is just right! Try it and you will not be disappointed icon_smile.gif

OhioBaker Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 11

I only bake for family and friends, but the WASC is the cake that everyone asks me to bake. It's really flavorful and stacks well. There's a recipe on CC that calls for 1 box of cake mix and another that calls for 2 boxs. I've used both; they are delicious! thumbs_up.gif

Try it, I think you'll really like it.

msulli10 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:18pm
post #7 of 11

I find most people love this cake because they are so used to a cake box texture. This one is a little moister and a little denser. It stacks well, but do not carve it since it's too light in texture. Since most fillings are so sweet, it really compliments the taste of the cake. You will not be disappointed.

vagostino Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 11

I like to bake all my cakes from scratch but this is the only one i make that starts with a box. Is really good and it takes frosting/fillings combinations really well.

NikkiDoc Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 11

It's more dense, rich and moist than standard cake mix, and more homemade tasting. I usually add a little less sugar than what is called for (I use between 1/2 and 3/4 c. sugar). It is a little less sweet that way. (I use butter in my BC and have to add more ps because I live in very humid NC heat, I altered the cake so that it would be tasty on it's own, but not too sweet with the BC) I always get compliments and it's one of my very favorite recipes.

ArtieTs Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks everyone for the feedback,

That does it then, I was going to go home after work & cook dinner for the FAM but guess what? they are having pizza & I'm making cake tonight icon_biggrin.gif. I just hope my daugther cleaned the kitchen. So how does this sound? WASC with a hazelnut IMBC? I'm drooling already. Jeeze! do I have enough butter for IMBC? oh well I'll figure it out. I guess I'll be up all night making this. I'll let you know how I like it. Thanks again CC

oh no! how about the White Choc. variation with the same filling? Yummy!!Lord help me, I'm losing it now. It's a terrible thing to be addicted to cake icon_redface.gif

ArtieTs Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:46am
post #11 of 11

OK CCers,

I made it & I LOVE it. OMG! I think I found my new basic cake eventhough I only bake from scratch. Since I love almond flavor I especially like the basic version, but I'm dying to try a berry version soon. I frosted it with a Hazelnut SMBC & it was to dye for. I really like the density of this cake and it is very very moist but dense at the same time, but can someone tell how well it holds up to fondant covering?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%