Ace Of Cakes Really Isn't That Great...

Decorating By Shakti Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 6:46am by Curtsmin24

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #91 of 234

I actually love the show because he is NOT perfect!

And as a side note...some of you are smokin' crack. Warren Brown from Sugar Rush is HOT, and thank God it is my DH who is fixed and not me, because theoretically that means I can still have Warren's babies. icon_biggrin.gif I absolutely love his book...had that bad boy pre-ordered, and the recipes I have tried so far ROCK. Love his explanations, too. Seriously, how can you not love my new boyfriend?!?!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:30am
post #92 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gifts4Lisa

I actually love the show because he is NOT perfect!

And as a side note...some of you are smokin' crack. Warren Brown from Sugar Rush is HOT, and thank God it is my DH who is fixed and not me, because theoretically that means I can still have Warren's babies. icon_biggrin.gif I absolutely love his book...had that bad boy pre-ordered, and the recipes I have tried so far ROCK. Love his explanations, too. Seriously, how can you not love my new boyfriend?!?!

Too funny!!!! I think he's adorable!!!!

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:50am
post #93 of 234

i didn't even read the thread, just saw the title.

I take offense to this topic. I think Duff is super talented. His work is art just like any other cake decorator. it may not be traditional but that does not mean that he/they are "not that great".
His art is so cool. you can't compare apples and oranges and thats what you are doing, only Duff can make a cry baby set and make it spin and light up and be edible.
although not everything is edible it is still amazing.
i think that saying he's not that great is offensive to all the non profesional cake decorators out there.

Shakti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shakti Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:05am
post #94 of 234

dude, why does everyone assume I'm saying he's not that great because he's not traditional??

look at the other website I put up there as an example of someone who's receiving no media attention who in my opinion is at least thrice better than him!

All I'm sayin is I'm wondering why he got a show and she didn't. He won't take a cake under a grand. Debbie won't take a cake under $200. It's his noteriety that means he can take so much more money per cake. Debbie clearly has a better product. Look at the chihuahua on her site! It's a lot better than his spaghetti play-dough dog. Better executed, better built, more realistic.

You've got to consider yourself at least near the top if you're charging no less than 1,000 per cake. You don't HAVE to claim you're the best. A price tag like that claims it for you.

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #95 of 234

I love to watch Ace because of all the dynamic personalities and artists on the show. THank goodness they are only human and mess up from time to time, or the heat gets the best of a cake during delivery.. THey somehow show the audience that even the ones in the spotlight do not always put out perfect cakes. Maybe that makes it easier on the other decorators. All I can say is that I would give my eyetooth to work or train under these guys for one week! It would truly be a good, yet educational time(!) that I would do pro bono! Just being there would be pay enough for me! thumbs_up.gif

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:34am
post #96 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakti

dude, why does everyone assume I'm saying he's not that great because he's not traditional??

look at the other website I put up there as an example of someone who's receiving no media attention who in my opinion is at least thrice better than him!

All I'm sayin is I'm wondering why he got a show and she didn't. He won't take a cake under a grand. Debbie won't take a cake under $200. It's his noteriety that means he can take so much more money per cake. Debbie clearly has a better product. Look at the chihuahua on her site! It's a lot better than his spaghetti play-dough dog. Better executed, better built, more realistic.

You've got to consider yourself at least near the top if you're charging no less than 1,000 per cake. You don't HAVE to claim you're the best. A price tag like that claims it for you.

Not true...it's called supply and demand. His cakes are in high demand...he doesn't claim to be the best but customers are lining up to buy his cakes and only so many cakes can be made in a week so the price goes up. Same as gas prices...supply and demand.

Yes there are many many talented artists out there but if people don't know about them then....it's all about getting your name out there. It's up to each decorator to market themselves in order to create the demand for their product and with increased demand comes increased prices. The quality of their product didn't change just the demand which was in return for increased exposure. It's the free economy...the American way icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:45am
post #97 of 234

i'll say it again....

the show is NOT about the CAKES!!!!!!!!!!

it's ENTERTAINMENT.

it comes down to entertainment VALUE

----

so, Debbie, doesn't have a show, or Collete or Ron or Mike or ...(fill in w/ name of your fav. decorator) ...

it's because they don't have the ENTERTAINMENT VALUE that Duff and Crew have in spades to spare.

Sorry, but I don't want to watch Collete or Ron or Mike decorate as I'm betting they'd be far too "serious" about their work.

I want entertainment NOT an instructional program --for that I'll watch SugarShack's or Aine2's videos.

---

oh and did you see his delivery fee!!?!?!????
$175/hour! OY!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #98 of 234
Quote:

having a reality-based TV show is like this, maybe 45-50% is about the talent, the abilities. The other 50-55% (and this may actually be a higher percentage than what I'm saying) is ALL about the personality. Obviously, Duff and his crew did well with test audiences. You don't think FoodNetwork just went out, taped him one day and stuck him on air the next? OH HECK NO! TV Networks are all about what's going to go over well with target audiences, what's going to get ratings, what's going to sell. Maybe Debbiedoescakes (I think I might be offended by her name, btw LOL) didn't screen test well. Maybe she doesn't have the kind of personality that translates well on air. Take Geoff for example. Were CharmCityCakes HIS baby, I don't think it would work. Geoff is the "sidekick" as it were to Duff. I love Geoff, I think his deadpan humor is awesome. But he's not Duff. Duff has an infectious personality. His laugh always makes me giggle. He's like a big kid, doing what he LOVES everyday, making money at it. You can't get more American Dream than that. He's also got a good business sense (anyone remember the episode where he made the treadmill for his Dad) that he comes by honestly and worked hard to get where he is.

Shakti Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:04am
post #99 of 234

lorijom, you're totally right. it is about supply and demand, eh.

As for the rest of you, why assume no one else has the personality duff has?

C'mon, with a name like 'debbie does cakes,' how could she NOT have 'personality in spades'?

Maybe I'm just jealous I don't have my own tv show. *sniff*. j/k

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:18am
post #100 of 234

My only complaint is that he (Jess actually, who answers the mail) won"t let me intern! icon_mad.gif

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:01am
post #101 of 234

lorijom...you stole the words right out my mouth...totally agree, it's all about supply and demand. and doug is right, it's not about the cake...it's ENTERTAINMENT!

Denae Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:01am
post #102 of 234

lorijom...you stole the words right out my mouth...totally agree, it's all about supply and demand. and doug is right, it's not about the cake...it's ENTERTAINMENT!

arnab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arnab Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:06am
post #103 of 234

Dear Shakti

No Amen from me neither. I love Ace of cakes and the whole cast. And of course the cakes. I am a huge fan and never miss an episide even watch repeated ones. It has been not only inspiration for me but I love getting this new way of doing cakes not only the 3D's but even the simple ones. If we can call them simple.
On the othe hand I agree on the price thing I just show them the site ant the starting price of their cakes a woping 1,000 dollars. I am not an expert but art is expensive. Hours of design and sculpting. If the client wants a 19.99 cake well they can go to Wal- Mart or Sam's or Cotsco. They will never taste the same or look as a personalized sculpted cake. People that do not bake will never imagine the amount of work and expertice that goes on cakes like thoses. Even when they are not flawless, at the end we are all human. Perfect just God. LOL

Shakti Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:09am
post #104 of 234

lol about asking them to intern!

Reminds me of my good friend and co-decorator who's been pestering Cakegirls for everything from internship to being a floor cleaner...they've been ignoring her!

If I ever made it big, I'd conduct workshops and classes and internships and all kinds of stuff to help people out. But not everyone is like that, not everyone wants to share the knowledge or is even a people person, and that's perfectly cool.

But yeah, I think Cakegirls are like ready to put a restraining order on her already lol!

jenfraiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenfraiz Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #105 of 234
Quote:

C'mon, with a name like 'debbie does cakes,' how could she NOT have 'personality in spades'?

Keep in mind that many of us have great personalities but no TV show. You have to either be discovered or pitch a show that you already have planned to various networks. Maybe Debbie hasn't pitched or hasn't yet been discovered? Don't knock Duff for having been discovered. I know that one of the reasons he got the show was because he used to do performance art shows that involved cake -- now that's unique and TV-worthy!

Can I just add that I'm biased? I was very lucky to be able to visit the bakery recently and meet Duff and Mary Alice and they are incredibly smart, gracious, and just damn cool. Many of them work 6-7 days a week and long hours at that. If they can command that kind of money for a cake, more power to em!

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #106 of 234

I didn't read this thread all the way through so don't know if this was mentioned before but,.... I took a course this past spring with Colette Peters and Ace of Cakes came up. According to the discussion, Duff's brother is a TV producer and produces Ace of Cakes. I'm not sure how she knew this or even if it is accurate info, but maybe that is how he was able to get the visibility of the TV show. He's very entertaining, love the cakes Jeff makes, Anna's too.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #107 of 234

I love him but I think it should be called something else.. The show is about the Gang..even though I love Dough. Ithink anyways.. he is the master underneath all this talent.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:17am
post #108 of 234

I think Duff and his staff ARE the show! Lots of people can make cakes. Some can even make amazing cakes, but not everyone can do it in an entertaining way in front of a camera. It's a show not a how to guide. I think they are great! I love the show and so do tons of other people because Duff and his staff are so personable and entertaining!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:34am
post #109 of 234

I just wish "mikes amazing cakes "had a show in addition to duff....he could have a teaching show, as opposed to a reality show.

while we're at it...adding shows that is...bronwin w. is quite a character...she gets a show too.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #110 of 234

I have nothing against the man or the business, but I think that it stinks that in a field that's predominantly women, the spotlight goes to one of the few guys.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:48am
post #111 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

I have nothing against the man or the business, but I think that it stinks that in a field that's predominantly women, the spotlight goes to one of the few guys.

Now THAT I will give an 'Amen' to! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:55am
post #112 of 234
Quote:

Now be fair .... if it was a woman being spotlighted in a predominantly male field, we'd all be applauding the fact that she was being spotlighted.

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:28am
post #113 of 234

My only complaint is that i have seen every show, at least 2 times. I am not a tv watcher, but love ace of cakes! I tivo them and save every episode. I love their creative abilities ,geoff's dry humor, and duffs infectious laugh. the cakes are great, are they the best, well that is not for me to say, everyone appreciates art differently. But the show isnt just "all about the cake" it is about the people, who make the show. they are great, I would love to work in a fun and creative environment like that.

Would love for them to show the price of each cake they create! I too am tired of getting asked to do "a duff cake" and clients wanting to pay walmart prices.

I do agree that more cake/sugar art shows would be great. maybe a road show that showcases different bakeries, so we could see different artists at work. HINT HINT!!!

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #114 of 234

In what professional, artistic, or culinary field are men the overwhelming majority of the entry-level participants but women the recipients (or takers) of the money and fame far out of their numeric participation in the field, Debi? Or, to put it another way, in what professional, artistic, or culinary field do men of any age cede the spotlight and the money to women, especially middle-aged women? Be specific, please.

(Edited twice for clarity, and I'm still not there yet. You get the idea, though.)

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:49am
post #115 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Quote:

Now THAT I will give an 'Amen' to! icon_lol.gif

Well..I think he was chosen for his crazy personality.. He got a lot of attraction after a few mess ups in competition.. I dont think it has to do
with men or women.. He is carzy in a funny kind of way.. It seems he is all about enjoying life.. And thats what caught people's attention.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:01am
post #116 of 234

Just another reminder ACE OF CAKES will be taping shows on August 15-16th at a food expo in Anaheim CA. Visit the website www.abfevents.com

I am hearing impaired and wish I could hear Duff and his crew speak. Just watching his show is hilarious. I am an ACE of Cake addict. I hope any cc can come to Southern California and vist the expo. Duff will also be a judge at a cake competition.

Denae Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #117 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Now be fair .... if it was a woman being spotlighted in a predominantly male field, we'd all be applauding the fact that she was being spotlighted.

indydebi....

totally agree!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:25pm
post #118 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

It's called the Food Network. Out side of Iron chef, Emiral, and Alton Brown the whole network is practally women being spot lighted in a male dominated field.

Mike

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #119 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundtdiva

Just another reminder ACE OF CAKES will be taping shows on August 15-16th at a food expo in Anaheim CA. Visit the website www.abfevents.com

ACK!! I had NO idea! I want to go sooo bad, it looks like so much fun! I know my husband won't go for it, but maybe a little begging...

Shakti Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:56pm
post #120 of 234

It has always seemed to me that once you take an art out of the home and make it professional, it becomes male-dominated.

Every pastry chef I've worked with has been a man.
It's hard to find female lead bakers in this industry, too.

I mean at least when you get to a professional, high production level, like working for the Hilton and other large venues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%