How Much Cake Batter For A 12X18 Sheet Cake

Decorating By lsienna Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm by Danielle1218

lsienna Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 3

I would like to make (4) 2" 12x18 sheet cake, put them together and stack (2) to make one large double layer cake torted and cover with fondant. I have an event that this cake is for and on top will some gum paste trees and other objects.

I have not tried a scratch cake yet and have been experimenting with doctored mixes. I find that one box, with pudding mix added, 3 eggs, 1 cup of milk, etc. barely gives me (2) 2" x 8" cakes with each pan barely half full. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what I would need to make a the large cake I described?

1. How long does it take to cook this? If I put two of these on each rack in home oven wouldn't that slow down the cooking time? Good idea or not?
2. Do they sell the baking strips to wrap a pan this size?
3. How much batter would I need? Also, do I up the amount of baking powder because it in such a big pan??
4. Last, should I use dowels when stacking this cake?

Any help, tips, advice or recipes would be hugely welcomed!!

Thank you in advance,

LSienna

2 replies
JanH Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 3

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your first tiered cake:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955-.html

All of your questions are answered in the above thread. icon_smile.gif

The bake even strips can be pinned together to fit this size...

HTH

P.S. Unless you have a huge oven you won't be able to bake more than one 12x18x2 pan on each rack. However, with that size, I usually only bake one at a time.

Danielle1218 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 3

When ever I make a 12 x 18, I use 3 box mixes.

However, if you need to layer it, I would put 1 1/2 boxes in the pan, bake that one. Then put another 1 1/2 boxes in the pan to bake the second layer.

I can usually torte a 12 x 18 cake, but it is tricky.

You should only bake one at a time.

When I make my first batch, I leave the "1/2" batter right in the bowl on the counter until the first cake is done. It will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%