Help! Need Help With Red Velvet Cake Recipe

Decorating By holliewest Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 1:31am by atschnet

holliewest Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know how to make a red velvet cake go further like we can the WASC? I have a HUGE cake to do in red velvet and have only used the box cake mixes and wanted to see if anyone knows how to add to this flavor to make bigger batches? Thanks.

10 replies
JanH Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 11

Red Velvet is a light chocolate cake dyed red.

Use the expanded flavors version of the WASC cake recipe (and replace a few tablespoons of the flour with cocoa so the flavor isn't diluted. Can also substitute buttermilk for the sour cream, if desired).

Baking substitution chart:

http://joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

Here's the expanded flavors recipe:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

Doctored RVC threads:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-2257761-.html

HTH

holliewest Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 11

TFTH JanH.

loriemoms Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 11

I have made the WASC recipe, (the two box version) but used whole eggs, and use one box of red velvet cake mix (DH) and one box of the butter yellow cake mix (not the classic yellow) added a box of vanilla pudding. It kept the red color, the slight chocolate flavor and MELTED in your mouth. Everyone thought it was from scratch.

pinkbeesugar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 11

loriemoms - what size box of vanilla pudding did you use, and did you make any other substitutions to the WASC rec?

loriemoms Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbeesugar

loriemoms - what size box of vanilla pudding did you use, and did you make any other substitutions to the WASC rec?

I used the smaller box of instant pudding (not the big huge one)

I didnt use the almond flavoring either..just the vanilla and butter flavorings (2 teaspoons of each) and I long ago use 8 eggs instead of 6, but I do that with all my recipes. Here in NC you have to. You can probably be fine with 6 eggs.

I play with that WASC recipe all the time to see if I can fool people who are used to my scratch cakes! It never seems to fail, it is one incrediable recipe!!! I have only used DH mix with it though, I don't know how it works with other mixes. But I have mix german chocolate cake mix with coconut cake mix and orange cake mix with yellow cake mix (tasted like a dreamscicle). I am still hunting for a good way to make a kahula and coffee flavors..they always seem to cook out.

atschnet Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 11

i dont use the box mix of red velvet......its gross, but i do have a great recipe using devils food mix doctored up. Let me know if you want it

SugarMama602 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 11

Ooh! I'd like it. icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:49am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by atschnet

i dont use the box mix of red velvet......its gross, but i do have a great recipe using devils food mix doctored up. Let me know if you want it

Yeah I agree, I think it is gross too, by itself. That is why I played with it..

I would LOVE to see your recipe! I never use devils food (I like the dark chocolate) and would love to try something with it!

Tona Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:17am
post #10 of 11

I do my red velvet cake from scratch if you would like the receipe you can email me

atschnet Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #11 of 11

yea i have a recipe for it from sratch too but i dont like it near as much as the one with the box mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%