My Turn To Be The Bug...

Lounge By plbennett_8 Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 2:06am by dldbrou

plbennett_8 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 15

Sometimes youâre the windshield, sometimes youâre the bug⦠This weekend was my turn to be the bugâ¦sigh⦠I found out late Wednesday night that my sister-in-lawâs best friend that I have known for over 30 years passed away suddenly. She was always there on Christmas Eve the life of the party; her youngest daughter calls me Aunt Patâ¦groan⦠So being from the south (donât know about the rest of the country), we bring food. So Iâm up Thursday night after work until almost 1 am baking a cake, and making gumpaste roses to go on it. I get up at 4 am before work to ice the cake knowing that I have two doctorâs appointments, and will not get back to my brothers house until about 4 pm. The wake is from 6-9 pm.

Did I mention that I was dog sitting for my brother while he was out of town, and that they had put their Big dog on a diet? Iâm talking 90 pound dog hereâ¦can you see where this is going? Laughing⦠So I get home from work and doctorâs appointments with just enough time to decorate the cake, and change clothes⦠Yeppers, you guessed it⦠The dog had gotten to the Middle of the dining room table and eaten ALL of the gumpaste roses that were going to go on the cake. I spent the next half hour on my hands and knees finding the WIRES from the roses â wondering if I was going to have to load up this Huge dog and take him to the vetâ¦they were all accounted for thank goodnessâ¦Whew⦠So nowâ¦what am I going to do with the cake⦠I had one half finished calla lily, and rolled some little bitty ribbon roses⦠It was Nothing like the cake that I intended to honor her memory with, but I did the best that I could as quickly as I couldâ¦sighâ¦

Oh noâ¦it doesnât stop thereâ¦lol After the memorial service on Saturday, I get home about 3 pm and about an hour later my step-son calls me in a panic. He is in the ambulance with his Mom, my best friend, on the way to the hospitalâ¦she had collapsed and passed out. She had a Severe allergic reaction to a new medicine and her blood pressure had dropped to 40/60⦠They pumped her full of Benedril and ran a bunch of tests, then released her to go home⦠I told her yesterday that I want her to have her doctor get the results of the tests⦠I am just Really NOT satisfied with allergic reaction and that kind of drop in BPâ¦

The topper to my weekend⦠My sister who is going through chemo and radiation decided that she just had to climb up on a ladder to change a *%*&)P light bulb and fell off breaking 4 ribs⦠Now she is talking about that if she feels better she is going to DRIVE from Chattanooga to Florida tomorrow because her grandson has never seen the Gulf⦠I swear I am at my wits end⦠Not sure whether to laugh or cry, so I choose to laugh⦠Thanks for letting me ventâ¦sighâ¦

14 replies
chutzpah Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 15

Wow, when it rains it pours!

I am sorry that all this happened to you right now in the same week.

JanH Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Wow, when it rains it pours!

Definitely thunderstorms. icon_cry.gif

OMG, you poor, poor thing. icon_eek.gif

Sending positive thoughts and hugs to you. icon_biggrin.gif

(When things settle down a bit, I think a relaxing bubble bath is definitely in order.) tapedshut.gif

plbennett_8 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks Ladies! icon_smile.gif I'm thinking steam room and sauna...lol icon_rolleyes.gif

tchrmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 15

I agree that she needs to have her regular doctor get test results, but I do know that a severe allergic reaction can cause sudden drop in BP. (My son is allergic to peanuts-- hasn't reacted that way thank goodness.) I have just read a lot on the subject.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 15

Whoa, too mu-uch!

So sorry to hear abut your friend's passing. Wow she's up there laughing about that dog eating your flowers though.

Wow-- blessings on you, you need 'em! And your family too.

Y'know the one where it says that God doesn't give us more than we are able to bear and gives us a way to handle it all? My reply is He gets way too close!!!!

Love & Prayers,
Kate

(((big hug)))

Luby Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 15

WOW - you really were the bug this time icon_eek.gif
Take a deep breath and relax - things will get better!

lardbutt Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 15

Did you say your step-son's mother was your best friend? If so, that is so nice for the step-son!

Wow, it has been "pouring" on you! I am so sorry about your friend passing away. It sounds like she was an awesome person who will be missed.

I just glad the dog didn't eat on the cake! That's what I thought you were gonna say!

plbennett_8 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:30am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Did you say your step-son's mother was your best friend? If so, that is so nice for the step-son!

Wow, it has been "pouring" on you! I am so sorry about your friend passing away. It sounds like she was an awesome person who will be missed.

I just glad the dog didn't eat on the cake! That's what I thought you were gonna say!

Yes, Nancy was an awesome person. She was a wonderful teacher...it was her life mission... She has 3 lovely daughters, and a church full of friends. On the other hand, she had one quirky sense of humor...lol Nancy was an avid collector of pineapples (hospitality), and she had told my sister-in-law at some point in the past that she wanted her ashes to go into her pineapple cookie jar, so that is exactly what they did...chuckle... icon_smile.gif She is sitting on my sister-in-law's mantle until the girls decide what they want to do... Trella is like their second Mama...

I have to tell ya'll... I had Totally forgotten that Nancy had a twin sister until I walked into the church... icon_eek.gif It took me a moment for my brain to start working again, and realize that it was Mary...not Nancy... icon_surprised.gif Took a little longer to dry the eyes...

And yes, my step-children's mother is my bestest friend in the whole wide world...lol I know...life is strange... icon_razz.gif But...you might quit loving a man, you NEVER quit loving a child that you have helped raise and that is exactly what happened... She and I raised the kids after I left "our" ex...lolol thumbs_up.gif They were 10 and 12 at that time. I figure we got the best of him in those two children. icon_twisted.gif They are grown now, and well on their way...

The cake was safely in the frig...but who would have thought the dog would eat the freaking roses...lol icon_confused.gif

Thanks all...I'm breathing again,
Pat B.

VannaD Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 15

after you said the part about drying your eyes b/c your friend had a twin it made me have to dry my eyes. I agree with the others when it rains it pours, also it sounds like you need a friend where in La are you? Im in Denham Springs, right outside of Baton Rouge.

Doug Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 15

there is the "rule of 3"

in theater -- repeat any gag only 3 times

3 - the perfect # for things to come in

so you've had your "bad" 3 set...

now it's time for a good 3 set.

Hugs and best of wishes

(pineapple cookie jar!?!?! -- what a hoot and what a wonderful person she must have been! a true original!)

plbennett_8 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 3:51pm
post #12 of 15

Hi Vanna,

Thanks icon_smile.gif I live in Zachary, but work in BR almost to Prairieville. I can always use another friend. icon_biggrin.gif I'm ok... You know how it goes... Us girls...we talk it out... Otherwise, we would explode or go completely nuts...laughing... icon_razz.gif I don't know if you would be interested, but we have started a little cake club for people in the area. Here is the link to the yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baton_rouge_cake_club/

Our next meeting is Monday afternoon at 6:00 pm.

Thanks again,
Pat

VannaD Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 15

i had actually joined this but have never been able to make it to a meeting, yet! We moved to Denham from Prairieville in November, hubby works in Geismar, where do you guys meet, maybe this will be the the month i make it. Your so right about getting it out or exploding and its always easier to talk other ladies, i know most of the time if im having a bad day and talk to DH he just looks at me like "um gee george" with this awful blank stare.

plbennett_8 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:09pm
post #14 of 15

Chuckle... icon_razz.gif Yes...I'm well acquainted with the "deer in the headlights" look... Or...envision a dog looking confused and tilting his head from side to side... Mars and Venus... But...ya gotta love um! icon_lol.gif

We meet at a construction company on the corner of Highland and Old Jefferson Hwy. Close to the corner of Airline and Highland... I think that there are a few people that come from Denham Springs. Maybe after ya'll get to know each other you can ride together. icon_smile.gif

This month is a Demo of making a package "box top".

Hope you can make it.
Pat icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #15 of 15

I also thought you were going to say that the dog ate the cake. I am sure that some spirits were at work on that dog. Too bad it wasn't on film. Just like the weather here in Louisiana, if you wait a little while it will change, so I think your luck is due to change any time now. I wish I lived closer to you guys to meet up with ya'll monthly, but I live an hour away in Scott, La. Have a good time for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%