Same Day Cake Orders

Decorating By Cakenator Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 6:08am by BrandisBaked

Cakenator Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 8

Just curious...

Who takes same day cake orders?

At our bakery, I know it frustrates people that I don't have pre-made cakes to sell out front. I have absolutely no space out there! On top of being the only cake decorator here, I am also the evening manager, the scheduler, I bake the cakes, I run the front, I help with general bakery production etc etc etc. (lol ok I'll stop whining now!!)

I realize that we should probably have cakes ready to go, but as for right now its just not feasible.

I just needed to vent to people who would understand that same day cake orders are never a good idea.

Or am I totally losing my mind here?

7 replies
chutzpah Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 8

No way. Talk about training customers that you'll accept last minute stuff!

We do always have a couple of 8" cakes, just iced with a shell border and some sprinkles along the upper edge, for sale in the case. I didn't have them at first, but discovered that there is a need for that.

If I have stuff out I'll write something on, if they want, but I won't decorate them.

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 8

I just tell them that's what walmart is for .... if they need a last minute cake like this, I'm sure walmart can pull something out of their freezer for them! icon_rolleyes.gif

summernoelle Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 8

I couldn't do it. There is no way I could. I just tell them I need 5 days notice, but often, it is more like 2 weeks.

Cakepro Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I just tell them that's what walmart is for .... if they need a last minute cake like this, I'm sure walmart can pull something out of their freezer for them! icon_rolleyes.gif

No, Wal-Mart has them lining the shelves of their bakery section. There's no need to pull them out of the freezer.

Frozen cakes, if of high quality and frozen and stored correctly, can be just as excellent as the day they were fresh baked. Don't you use "high quality frozen goods" in your catering business? Your comment puzzles me.

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 8

cakepro, no offense intended .... it's merely meant to point out that the grocery stores have lots and lots of cakes pre-baked and ready to go at a moments notice .... I don't bake ahead and can't pull a cake out of the refrigerator or the freezer and have it ready to go at a moment's notice.

I guess it was one of those "I knew what I meant" things that didnt' translate well. icon_redface.gif

sweetcakes Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:17am
post #7 of 8

as a custom baker decorator i dont do same day orders, but if i owned a store front i would expect same day cake orders, i'd only take them for basic cakes, like 8" or 9x13 with basic decoration. I do work for a bakery occasionally and they take several same day orders as long as the decorator is still on the clock. Generally the cakes are made and frozen, so i just take them from the freezer place on a cake board and ice and decorate. perhaps you could have some iced with borders just waiting to add a rose and message. frozen of course

BrandisBaked Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:08am
post #8 of 8

I just got a "last minute" order today... but it's for tomorrow at 5. With less than 72 hours notice, I may or may not take an order - but if I do, they have to pay the rush charge of $5 or 10% (whichever is greater).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%