Help From The Indiana Folks! (State Fair)

Decorating By JenWhitlock Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 5:39am by CakeRN

JenWhitlock Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 7

hey hooisers!
as you may know, I'm new to the area, but I'm considering entering the state fair cake and cookie competitions.
the postmark deadline is tomorrow (July 1st)!
has anyone seen what these are like?
I did the Orange County fair last year, it was a riot, but a bit of a joke too.

there is a decorated cookie contest
and
pro and non-pro cake contests: (all dummy cakes)
tiered bridal/anniversary
non-tiered birthday
non-tiered special occasion
non-tiered bridal/baby shower
tiered or not, fair theme - Year of Trees

I was thinking of entering the cookie contest.
also, the tiered bridal - because I haven't done a wedding cake and want one for my portfolio and maybe the "theme" ...was thinking of a 3-tier with various seasons of trees around the cake and a girl in a tree swing at the top.

any advise?
thanks!

6 replies
sadiepix Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 7

No advice, though I do miss the fair! (I moved to MI)

I remember seeing the gorgeous cakes though!

Thought I would post to bump this up too, as I know there are lots of IN members.

icon_smile.gif Hope you have fun if you enter! Be sure to get pics!

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 7

Only to tell you to definitely enter the cookie portion!

My daughter went to the state fair last year and check out the cakes/cookies. She said, "Oh mom, you've got to enter! You will blow them away!" She sent me pics ..... They were "nice" but I wouldn't have pegged them as "competition level" work.

Enter. You'd be almost guaranteed a blue ribbon.

calynmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 7

Indydebi you are right.

I'm originally from IN and found that the cakes I've seen at the fair are not up to standard. Now, I'm still developing my skills but I thought I could do most of them.

Like Jenwhitlock i'm entering the KY state fair and county fair this year.

Any advice on what type of cake would be good to enter. I mean I want my cake to stand out..

what would judges be looking for?

Thanks and good luck to you jenwhitlock...I will be visiting my family in Indpls during state fair time. I will definitely be stopping to see the entries.

terrylee Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 7

Enter.....I have 18 - 20 kids in my 4H class that put cakes in the fair every year...... we do dummy cakes. It is so rewarding and fun to show off your work....

JenWhitlock Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #6 of 7

thank you!!!
I will enter, but I'm still debating which cake to enter.... (plus I'm doing the cookies!!!)

CakeRN Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:39am
post #7 of 7

Jen,

Your cakes and cookies are wonderful. I don't know why you don't think you are ready for teaching ! Have you heard about ICES? Indiana has a great chapter and one of our members Autumn Carpenter is a big cookie person. She has written many cookie books and is part owner of Country Kitchen Sweetart in Ft. Wayne. If you have not been there you really need to check them out. It is a great shop for supplies.

Teri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%