Killer Humidity?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 12:16am by wgoat5

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 7

It has been excessively humid here for the past week - over 80% and I have no AC. I had two cakes due for a coworker that weren't cooperating. One was a three tier surprise engagement party cake. When i asked this morning if the flowers survived, she told me the cake fell in on itself and the caterers had to cut it immediately.

My BC was too soft and wouldn't crust (I use a version of Sugarshack's w/ regular Crisco) and i had to add an extra POUND of sugar to be able to work with it! I chilled the top two layers for stacking and they started sweating and ran all over the blue sprayed border. The gp flowers were quarantined to the bedroom with the window AC and even the chocolate shells were too soft to touch. You get the picture. With all the trouble, it took six hours to smooth, stack & decorate!! But it looked presentable.

I had used 4 Wilton plastic dowels on the 10" tier that supported the 8" and 2 Wilton/2 drinking straws on the 8" that supported the 6". Cake boards were all wrapped and a central dowel was supporting the whole thing. I was meeting her half way the day before for delivery - it made it 12 miles with me and was in perfect shape. She only had to bring it 5 mi. to her airconditioned house, although I'm not sure where the party was. Imagine my surprise when her 17 year old son met me to pick up the cakes! He's not the most responsible kid. Who the heck sends a teenager to pick up a cake? I told him No slamming on the brakes and No sharp turns!

What would cause the bottom layer to "fall in"? Was it the humidity? I couldn't chill it before transport b/c of the sweating issue. Or my dowels, which I use all the time? Maybe it wasn't enough support? Or more likely the teenaged driver? I feel really bad...

6 replies
MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

Or my dowels, which I use all the time? Maybe it wasn't enough support?

That's my guess. I wouldn't use less than 6 verticals on a 10" cake. Also, all the buttercream issues shouldn't impact the board-and-dowel construction which holds the cake up.

beachcakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 7

Even with the Wilton hollow plastic dowels? I always thought you were supposed to use less of them.

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 7

The 4 Wilton fat plastic dowels should have been adequate...if they were cut correctly. I only deliver stacked cakes when they are cold...I think delivering it at room temp and giving it to a teenage a boy could be the problem

Minette
www.minetterushing.typepad.com

beachcakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 7

Yeah, I was afraid to chill b/c of the sweating. It didn't "fall in" until 24 hours later.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:15am
post #6 of 7

Blame it on the boy

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:16am
post #7 of 7

Blame it on the boy LOL icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%