Can I Do This?

Decorating By bellsnbows Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 1:35am by wgoat5

bellsnbows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellsnbows Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 11

I have a request for a wedding cake that has brush embroidery. I have never done this before so I am really nervous. I think I get the general idea of it. Is it extremely difficult? They prefer it to be buttercream icing, but most of the brush embroidery i see is on fondant. Is it possible to do it on buttercream and what do i use to do the embroidery, royal???

My other question is, do you usually charge more for brush embroidery? I saw on some websites that they do, so i was just wondering.

I will try to post a picture of the cake, but I don't really know how. I think it is from CC, but I can't find it on here to give them credit. It is a beautiful cake!
Thanks!
LL

10 replies
gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 11

Brush embroidery can be done on buttercream. You need to let the buttercream"crust" before you do the embroidery. I would probably use royal icing to do the embroidery, but I would test it first.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 11

If you want to do the brush embroidery *with* buttercream as well as on it, you can add a little piping gel to the brushed buttercream to make it move better. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, it depends on my mood. But it's something you could try to make it easier for the first time around, and then you can always change how you do it for the next cake.

It's an easy and elegant decoration that I don't personally charge extra for unless there's a LOT of it on a cake. I'd far rather do the brush embroidery than sit around making flowers and bows forever. icon_smile.gif

Deanna

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 11

Brushed embroidery isn't hard. I think its relaxing and less time consuming than bows and flowers as TooMuchCake said.

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 11

I don't know if this helps, but I found this link....

http://********************

Janice

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 11

Ok, so the blocked part is ******************** instead of the [blocked]

sorry forgot I was not allowed to do the straight forward typing of this site

Janice

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 11

I love doing brush embroidery. When doing it with buttercream, on buttercream, use a very soft touch and a moist brush. And work small sections so that the lines that are being brushed don't start to dry. Not difficult at all and stunning effect.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 11

I love doing brush embroidery. When doing it with buttercream, on buttercream, use a very soft touch and a moist brush. And work small sections so that the lines that are being brushed don't start to dry. Not difficult at all and stunning effect.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 11

That really is beautiful! Good luck to you on copying this design. Looks like a fun challenge. thumbs_up.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 11

Brush embroidery is beautiful and not hard to do. But it really looks pretty on the cake. I love it. Good luck

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #11 of 11

Beautiful cake made by Cakelady48 icon_smile.gif

Hope all works out for you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%