Cake Board Tiered Cake Question

Decorating By Lemonydoodles Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 7:15pm by Lemonydoodles

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 13

I have been told conflicting information and wanted to ask you ladies & gentlemen what your opinion is on this. When assembling a tiered cake do you have to cover the cake board on both sides or at all on the tiers that are above the base tier? Since the cake boards don't show I am a little unsure of what to do.....I naturally cover the "top" of the cake board where the cake sits, but now I am questioning if I even need to do that when doing tiers.....but also do I cover the bottom side as well? Thanks for any input on this, I appreciate it!

Christa (Lemonydoodles)

12 replies
Lemonydoodles Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 13

anyone?

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 13

I personally do cover them. I don't want them to cut into the cake and find a soggy piece of cardboard. But I think it's personal preference.

Lemonydoodles Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 13

do you cover both sides? If so....w/ what exactly...I usually use the roll of paper from Wilton....

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 13

Yes, I do. I use plane white contact paper.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 13

I don't cover my boards at all. CC was the first time I had ever heard of anyone doing this. It's not really necessary, as far as I'm concerned, but to each, his own.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 13

I have never covered a cardboard cake circle unless I was using it as a base plate. Usually I use a cake drum, and of course, SPS, so there's a plastic plate under the cardboard circle.

I also had never heard of anyone covering a cardboard for the upper tiers until I started hanging around here.

Lemonydoodles Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for all your responses.....Happy Baking!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 13

I don't cover my cake boards, and I use foamcore instead of cardboard now, but whenI used cardboard I did not cover that either.

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 13

Call me paranoid, but I double up my boards and cover both sides with press and seal. I should be getting my first order of SPS tomorrow (thanks for the info leahs!), so hopefully I won't have to worry about it anymore icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 13

On a stacked cake, I never cover the boards. It never crossed my mind to do so. The boards are not made of rice paper ... they will not get all soggy. (Another great example of why I encourage ALL decorators to cut a few of their wedding cakes ... so they can see this stuff firsthand and actually know how it works.)

If the board is going to be showing (bottom tier or a pillared cake), then I use the decorative foil and only on the top side.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 13

I do not cover my boards used under a cake. I use the ones coated in wax and have never had a issue. I use a cake drum for the base which is alread covered.

Lemonydoodles Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 13

wow, thanks ladies for all the info. I really do appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%