Bordless Cake With Sps System

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 2:05pm by wgoat5

loriemoms Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 9

I have a question for you SPS users: I have a borderless buttercream cake to do. Normally I buttercream over the cardboard the cake sits on then slide it on the SPS and do my border.

I was wondering how I would bring the buttercream all the way down to the next tier, so I can do a borderless cake. I was thinking of putting the cake directly on the plastic, but Bakery Craft warns that this will cause the cake to be soggy. Then I wasn't even sure how to apply the legs once the cake is on the plate. Do I slide the cardboard onto the plate and then just spread more buttercream to cover the plastic plate? How do I smooth it down while it is sitting on another tier without damagin the top of the bottom tier..

Thanks for any help!

8 replies
leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 9

I guess my first question is why does it have to be borderless?

loriemoms Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 9

It is part of the design of the cake. It has no border..I have done plenty of borderless cakes using dowels, but plastic plate gets in the way of the finished look. I am thinking I may skip the plate and just drop the cardboard on the plastic dowels, if there is not way to do it with SPS...

PS. Have you ever placed cakes directly on the plastic? (I Never have time to experiement) I don't understand why the cakes would sweat, since boards like form aren't any different from plastic, are they?

wgoat5 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:27am
post #4 of 9

loriesmoms could you use a size smaller plate? Also.. you know the bottom of the plates .. those little round things that the legs go up in? They can be removed... that might help you a little also. (They look like part of a column)

loriemoms Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

loriesmoms could you use a size smaller plate? Also.. you know the bottom of the plates .. those little round things that the legs go up in? They can be removed... that might help you a little also. (They look like part of a column)

I was thinking that myself, to use a smaller plate and see if that will work!

I always remove those little columm things..I used to save them and then thought WHY? and I Just toss them. I wonder if they can made into necklaces or something! haha!

leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 9

Yeah, the collars are only useful if you have a cake with separations. Then you can actually see (well, sorta) the bottom of the plate, so they give a finished look. For a cake wqith no separations, take 'em off and toss.

tmassey5 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 9

I'm not familiar with the SPS system, but why not put the cakes on the plastic plates? I have always done this....never have noticed a problem...should I be concerned?
I do wonder how people get that seamless look? Do you travel with your cakes already stacked?
Just curious! icon_rolleyes.gif

loriemoms Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmassey5

I'm not familiar with the SPS system, but why not put the cakes on the plastic plates? I have always done this....never have noticed a problem...should I be concerned?
I do wonder how people get that seamless look? Do you travel with your cakes already stacked?
Just curious! icon_rolleyes.gif

Bakery craft warns to never place the cakes directly on the plastic plate, as it will cause "sweating" and make the cake soggy. I am not sure why either, but I have always followed thier warning. If others had sone it without problems, would love to hear about it!

I travel with my cakes already stacked if they are 3 tiers or less for fondant or 4 tiers or less for buttercream (because of the weight) Knock on wood, never had a problem. But I only do this with SPS..I would not do it with dowels or straws as I would be afraid they would shift...just my opinion!

wgoat5 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 9

I travel with my cakes stacked... although I am RARELY asked to do a borderless cake

If you put your cake on the plastic plate you are going to have a hard time putting the legs on and NOT mess your cake up plus it spells trouble icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%