Finding Your Style

Decorating By justgale Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm by Jenn123

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 9

There was a post about this awhile back, but I can't seem to find it now. After looking at literly thousands of cakes on here over the last month or two I've decided my style don't fit in with everyone elses. I've tried to mold the fondant into cute little figures and stuff and haven't had alot of luck with it. I can do small pieces like flowers and stuff but that is about it. I've finely had to admit to myself I LIKE to use all the cute little plastic picks and stuff that are out there on the market. It seems to be taboo on this site though. Maybe it's to chain store bakery? But then that is where I have worked for the last 10 years or so I can see what all cute stuff is out there. I know for compentions and that kind of thing the fake stuff is a no no but I'm not doing that kind of thing. Are there any rules on this site about not using them? I'm still fairly new so I don't know. There was no way I could make the bridge, fish or fisherman on this cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1238787.html but that was what my uncle noticed first on it. On this one http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1238785.html the dog and raido just seemed to add to it. And she did ask for the flipflop picks on the side. What does anyone else think about this?
Sherri

8 replies
yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 9

I think your cakes are awesome! It's important to do what you feel comfortable w/ and what the customer wants. I'm not good at making figures (especially people) and so I just don't do it. With the exception of my under the sea cake, that's about it. I have found that my style is more traditional and, I hate to say it, girly. I LOVE doing cakes w/ flowers and stuff! ...not to mention it allows me to hide any flaws there may be w/ a flower or scroll work! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

So do what you like and have fun w/ it! That's the new law if my business...if I'm not having fun, I'm charging more! thumbs_up.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 9

As far as I know their are no rules this you do the best you can and decorate your cakes the way you want to I've been a member for awhile I have learned a lot from this site and I have gotten a lot of encouragement I do this only as a hobby I have never taken any classes so what I've learned I've learned from this site so be as creative as you want to be and don't be scared to try new things Good Luck!

Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 9

Even the best decorators use things like presses and other things they need to get the look they want. It's not all sugar and talent. Look at Duff on Ace of Cakes....he uses things that aren't even edible - granted most of his are inside the cake, but what's the difference, it was used to get the overall look which is what is important and his final result is great - as is yours. I'm all about using anything to make a cake! Whether it be little figures or anything at all, it's all whatever works to make a great looking cake!

You do what works for you and be proud!! Your cakes are cute!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 9

I have a wide range but I think my real style is shabby chic emphasis on the shabby part. I get just enough chic in there to get it to pass. I mean I can do some other stuff too but for my personal basic style it's shabby chic.

But to be honest I think you have to have pretty tough skin to be able to digest the stuff on almost any cake board. My neice works at a big box bakery. She's put her life back together and she might still have a stray piece missing but I would NEVER invite her to be on a cake board due to the regular slams big box stores like Costco and Wal-Mart get. I mean it's not toxic waste ok. If yah got nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all.

So I dig plastic stuff. I've been a store decorator but there's a lot of attitude among decorators so don't take it personal and you will learn a lot.

And don't be afraid to keep trying other things too.

thumbs_up.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 9

first off... you made it sound like you were just using tacky little cupcake pics ONLY on like a sheet cake. (no offense to those who do that)

i looked at several of your cakes and i think they are GREAT! i LOVE your sandcastle and your fisherman cake. you do what you are comfortable with. and if you want to make fondant figures (btw, i LIKE your lawnmower & bbq on the father's day cake - think they are great!) all you have to do is practice, practice, practice. and buy a couple of those clay sculpting books (that's what i used for the lobster & crab on my sandcastle cake). as talented and good as aine2 is with her figures, i'm willing to bet her first ones didn't look anything like they do now, no one's do.

but you keep making what you're happy with and what your customers are happy with. you're talented and you can only get better icon_biggrin.gif

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 9

k8 - wow do I agree! I never thought there was the possibility of an attitude on a cake site,,,,but boy am I finding it too!! We should all be happy and helpful not snobby about how people get things done. We all have the bond of cake and that should be enough!

Can't we all just get along?? It's only cake!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

flbeachbummom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flbeachbummom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 9

Don't give up working with it. I'm finding that it takes a lot of practice to try and master these skills. I found that some books are extremely helpful and quite detailed. I also checked out my local library first. I found a couple of Lindy Smith books there. It was a good start. I also went and spent the day at a bookstore and scoped out the books. I learned a lot that way too. I'm definitely no master, but I picked up loads of various things. There are loads of free tutorials on the internet about modeling things out of polymer clay. I also check out all the free tutorials on Youtube too. Another tip, if you live in an area with a Hobby Lobby store, you can sign up for their flyer on the internet and they send out coupons every week. Most weeks, it is for 40 percent off. This enabled me to get a clay gun and play around with it. Don't give up just yet. Just do lots of research and don't just look at the cake websites. Cake decorating is taking ideas from polymer clay, scrapbooking and a lot of different craft mediums. So, have fun with it. I hope this is somewhat informative. I too have been trying to figure out how they do the things they do. icon_cry.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 9

I see nothing wrong with adding toy accents. I do it all the time. IF the customer is OK with it, then go for it. There are no rules and you don't have to be a purist! Besides... it can save A LOT of time. I don't have the patience for fondant molding!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%