Has Anyone Ever Heard Of Decorating This Way????

Decorating By Pghnana Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 2:49pm by ChristianCakeBaker

Pghnana Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 17

My daughter works for a catering company and this past weekend did a wedding. The wedding cake was made by a well known local bakery and she said it was decorated beautifully. However, when cutting it to serve, they found that the fondant had been draped over all three tiers and it tore as they tried to remove each tier. Plus, the top tier for the bride and groom stuck to the lower tier. She said she had to practically saw thru the fondant and with a whipped cream and strawberry filling, the cake just fell apart as they tried to plate it. icon_sad.gif

Draping fondant rather than covering each tier?? Anyone ever hear of that??

Pghnana

16 replies
ccr03 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 17

never heard of that, but couldn't she have cut fondant on each cake to separate it from the cake above it and then cut it normally?

Pghnana Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 17

That's what they did but she said it was really difficult. The way the cake was decorated looked like each tier was covered with fondant and stacked. As they took off the top tier, then they discovered the one-piece fondant. They cut as carefully as they could to make sure each piece was as intact as possible. I've just never heard of a cake being covered like that and just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else ever came across that. Just so wierd....like the bride. She wanted cheeseburgers as an entree.

ccr03 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 17

oh, you can't crack on cheesburger icon_wink.gif

but that is werid.

miss_sweetstory Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 17

I have a cake decorating book that shows this technique on a quite small two-tier. But it is one of those books that I have found several "questionable" things in.
The crime here is that the decorator did not inform the staff on how the cake was constructed/decorated, so that they could cut the cake with as few issues as possible.

*edited to add: The most enjoyable wedding that I ever attended served White Castles as a late night snack. They were one of many things that added notes of fun to what was a fairly formal affair

Pghnana Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 17

Although the caterer wouldn't offer cheeseburgers as an entree, he did make mini cheeseburgers as appetizers and apparently they went like wild fire!!!

costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 17

I've done cakes with drapes of fondant or white chocloate covering the cake from top to bottom, but I always warn the person who's going to cut it that they're going to have a lot of fun.

I wouldn't have thought that covering a large tiered cake with one huge sheet of fondant would even be possible...How big did they have to roll that sucker out? They probably have a big sheeter and just make one huge sheet then cover it that way.

sarahnichole975 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 17

That definitely seems like more trouble than it's worth. I want a cheese burger now.....since my AC's still broke maybe I'll fire up the grill outside tonight....thanks for the idea!!! lol

superstar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 17

I've never heard of that being done before. We live & learn.

thjoghild Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #10 of 17

I've never heard of doing that. I would have liked to watch that being done, because that doesn't sound fun. Probably took more that one lowly decorator to smooth all that fondant!

tonedna Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:17am
post #11 of 17

I wonder if they just glued so it wouldn't slip..

michellesArt Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:21am
post #12 of 17

edible or elmer's variety? lol

smoore Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:49am
post #13 of 17

how many tiers was it???? I'm trying to envision how big a piece of fondant they would have had to roll out.

debster Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #14 of 17

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif You hear something new every day , this was it for me. icon_confused.gif

cvigil Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #15 of 17

Never heard of that! Doesn't sound like fun

Pghnana Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm
post #16 of 17

This was a 3 tiered cake. Each tier was torted into 3 pieces with whipped cream icing, strawberries and one section had a layer of fondant on top of the filling. My daughter said it was a surprise finally cutting into the cake and finding another piece of fondant with the filling. icon_eek.gif I wish she had been able to take a few pictures of the thing. I'd like to have seen it. I'd actually like to have seen the fondant put on the cake. I wonder how many people it took.

I was also thinking that BIG sheet of fondant was sort of like some sort of glue to hold the tiers together....a lot tastier and safer than using Elmers I guess icon_lol.gif

And I gotta tell yinz guys. That cake is NOT a 'Burgh thing!!

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:49pm
post #17 of 17

a layer of fondant on the filling? icon_confused.gif

why would they do that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%