Ick, Is This Even Food Safe?

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 4:37pm by yelle66

yelle66 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 7

We went to a birthday party this past weekend of a friend who we don't know all that well yet and she had ordered a cake from a local supermarket. She was very sweet and mentioned that she completely forgot that I did cakes. So, she brings out this cake and obviously its hideous, but its got like a dollar store crown and wand right on the icing. Is that food safe? I would never put something I purchased that is probably filled with lead on top of a cake. Anyway, all yucky store cake vents aside, is that really foodsafe? This is a big chain store and not a cheap one (for a yucky 1/4 sheet cake with a plastic tiara it was $21-I think its too high for yucky cake).

Anyway, just curious.

Danielle

6 replies
sarahpierce Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 7

I worked in a bakery at a grocery store (for 2 days) and they had all their plastic gawdy decorations in sealed plastic bags. So I suppose they were made for food decorations, but I'm only assuming. Considering those bakerys don't actually bake anything, they just defrost. Sorry I'm kind of a cake snob.

yelle66 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 7

I suppose I am just being a cake snob too icon_smile.gif I have seen some beautiful cakes on here using fake tiaras and it never crossed my mind. I'm sure I am just being hard on the supermarkets. It did taste alot like wax, though icon_lol.gif

sarahpierce Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 7

They are gross. My friends and family won't buy from a chain store again, and I use box mixes. Go figure icon_lol.gif

aswartzw Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 7

In the past, I probably wouldn't create a fuss over where the toys come from but with lead poisoning being so prominent anymore, it really makes me stop and wonder.

sarahpierce Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 7

Exactly! Christmas was really hard this year. Especially when your kids are into all the characters, and all of them are made in China. We had to return one of my sons favorite toys because of the recall. It broke our hearts. And it was so hard to keep up on all of them. We're still boycotting China. I hope it gets better.

yelle66 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 7

I guess that was kind of my thought with the lead, but then I wonder if the plastic toppers would be any different. I know those are all made in China, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%